-   -   Textbox disappears (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/42860-textbox-disappears.html)

B. Scace

Textbox disappears

My question is about several bar charts I made in excel - each chart has
textboxes above each bar - with either a "$" or "#" inside them. On all four
charts, the symbols do not show up on the last set of bars, once I am
finished editing or when I print them. I'm using Excel 2002.

Why do they disappear on the last 2 (right hand) bars on each chart? And is
there any easier way to display these symbols rather than thru textboxes?
Thanks!

Jon Peltier

If the boxes are situated at each point in the chart, use data labels instead. Excel
offers a few options of what these labels can display, but you can customize this.
In fact, you can download utilities that apply text from a worksheet range to these
labels. Two noteworthy utilities:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

B. Scace wrote:

My question is about several bar charts I made in excel - each chart has
textboxes above each bar - with either a "$" or "#" inside them. On all four
charts, the symbols do not show up on the last set of bars, once I am
finished editing or when I print them. I'm using Excel 2002.

Why do they disappear on the last 2 (right hand) bars on each chart? And is
there any easier way to display these symbols rather than thru textboxes?
Thanks!

Tushar Mehta

In article ,
says...
My question is about several bar charts I made in excel - each chart has
textboxes above each bar - with either a "$" or "#" inside them. On all four
charts, the symbols do not show up on the last set of bars, once I am
finished editing or when I print them. I'm using Excel 2002.

Why do they disappear on the last 2 (right hand) bars on each chart? And is
there any easier way to display these symbols rather than thru textboxes?
Thanks!

You probably created those symbol textboxes without selecting the
chart. That means those textboxes are directly on the worksheet (just
like the chart itself). You can SHIFT+click the chart then right-click
the selected chartobject and select Order Send to Back. That
*should* bring the textboxes to the front of the chart.

Alternatively, select the chart and add the textboxes again.

A simpler way? Depending on what you are doing, make them through data
labels. Put the symbols in a column in the worksheet (I'm assuming
your data are in columns), and use Bovey's XY Chartlabeler
(
www.appspro.com) or Walkenbach's ChartTools (www.j-walk.com) to add
the data label column. On the chart, double-click any of the visible
data labels and select an appropriate location for them (inside top,
etc.).

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions