Karen Saberi

Default formatting lines in charts

I would like to be able to format a single line in a chart (representing the
time period 2002 to 2010) to be solid for actual data and dotted for
projected data, but I only seem to be able to change the format of the entire
line. Can anybody out there help me?
Earl Kiosterud

Karen,

Put your projected data in a separate series (probably a separate column,
depending on how your data is laid out).
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Karen Saberi" wrote in message
I would like to be able to format a single line in a chart (representing
the
time period 2002 to 2010) to be solid for actual data and dotted for
projected data, but I only seem to be able to change the format of the
entire
line. Can anybody out there help me?

Karen Saberi

I tried doing that at one stage, but then found that I had two lines, rather
than a single time series, with the X-axis only showing labels for the years
with the actual, rather than projected data. Is there any way of avoiding
this happening?

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Karen,

Put your projected data in a separate series (probably a separate column,
depending on how your data is laid out).
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Karen Saberi" wrote in message
I would like to be able to format a single line in a chart (representing
the
time period 2002 to 2010) to be solid for actual data and dotted for
projected data, but I only seem to be able to change the format of the
entire
line. Can anybody out there help me?

Andy Pope

Hi Karen,

Here is an example of what Earl was describing.
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng45.htm

Cheers
Andy

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Karen,

Put your projected data in a separate series (probably a separate column,
depending on how your data is laid out).
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Karen Saberi" wrote in message

I would like to be able to format a single line in a chart (representing
the
time period 2002 to 2010) to be solid for actual data and dotted for
projected data, but I only seem to be able to change the format of the
entire
line. Can anybody out there help me?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Karen Saberi

Thank you Andy. Since making this post I came across another post that
helped me, and there is another way of doing this, which is simply to stick
to one series, to highlight the whole line on the chart and then to click
again to select the individual segment you want (I didn't realise you could
do this). You can then change the format of just that part of the line. I
think the guy who first created the chart must have done this, because there
only seems to be one data series.

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Karen,

Put your projected data in a separate series (probably a separate column,
depending on how your data is laid out).
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Karen Saberi" wrote in message

I would like to be able to format a single line in a chart (representing
the
time period 2002 to 2010) to be solid for actual data and dotted for
projected data, but I only seem to be able to change the format of the
entire
line. Can anybody out there help me?

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

Hi Karen,

Indeed it is possible to format individual segments of the line. The
only draw back with this is if you only have 1 series the legend expands
and each segments appears. If you don't need the legend then this is not
a problem. If you do need the legend then just add another data series,
this make the legend revert to show 2 series. You can delete the extra
data series from the legend and format it such that it does not appear
in the chart.

Either way glad you managed to get sorted.

Cheers
Andy