TJB

Default Data Labels

Since my chart is a daily chart over a few years, I don't have data labels
displayed on my chart. However, the user can run their curser over a point
on the chart and it will display the date and value at that point. My
problem is the date is sometimes displayed in it's numeric equivalent (i.e
"38546") and other times it actually displays the date (7/13/05). How can I
stop the chart from displaying the numeric equivalent? I can't figure out
why sometimes the date shows and somtimes the numeric equivalent shows.

Thanks!

TJB

One set of data being plotted. A $ value for a particular day and the chart
covers a five year period. The X data is the date format "*3/14/2001" and
the Y data in the $ format.

"TJB" wrote:

Since my chart is a daily chart over a few years, I don't have data labels
displayed on my chart. However, the user can run their curser over a point
on the chart and it will display the date and value at that point. My
problem is the date is sometimes displayed in it's numeric equivalent (i.e
"38546") and other times it actually displays the date (7/13/05). How can I
stop the chart from displaying the numeric equivalent? I can't figure out
why sometimes the date shows and somtimes the numeric equivalent shows.

Thanks!

bj

is this an XY plot or a line plot?
if ther raw data for the X values are formated as dates, it should show up
as dates for your point and look
try selecting the input values and firast format as general. check to see
if some show as dates and some show as numbers
reformat the X data series in the worksheet as date and see what you get.

"TJB" wrote:

Since my chart is a daily chart over a few years, I don't have data labels
displayed on my chart. However, the user can run their curser over a point
on the chart and it will display the date and value at that point. My
problem is the date is sometimes displayed in it's numeric equivalent (i.e
"38546") and other times it actually displays the date (7/13/05). How can I
stop the chart from displaying the numeric equivalent? I can't figure out
why sometimes the date shows and somtimes the numeric equivalent shows.

Thanks!

Jon Peltier

Double click the data labels, on the Number tab apply the desired
format, then make sure the Linked to Source box is not checked.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services