Lloyd Benson

Default Can I have more than 255 characters in Chart "Values" of Excel 2k?

Basically put, when I'm trying to graph specific values from a very large and
complex spreadsheet, I can't use all the cells I need to use because the X
Values: and Y Values: are truncated at 255 characters. Is there any sort of
fix for this?
Bernard Liengme

Excel has a specification limit of 255 data series in a chart
Not sure I could read with much more than 10!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Lloyd Benson" <Lloyd wrote in message
Basically put, when I'm trying to graph specific values from a very large
and
complex spreadsheet, I can't use all the cells I need to use because the X
Values: and Y Values: are truncated at 255 characters. Is there any sort
of
fix for this?

Lloyd Benson

Well, I'm only have 10 data series, but the values are spread out, so I have
to pick and choose individual cells for points. I can't sort because some
data points are used in multiple series. For example, my first few (out of
over 400) values a
LA, LB, MA, MC, MF, UA
LA, LB, MC, MD, UA, UB
LA, MA, MD, ME, MF
LB
LB
LB, MA, MC
LB, MA, MC, MD

So if I want to graph everything with MA, then I have to manually select the
first, third, sixth, and seventh cells in a column. This leads to the X
Values and Y Values to look something like this:
Sheet1!$T$3,Sheet1!$T$5,Sheet1!$T$8,Sheet1!$T$10:$ T$11,Sheet1!$T$26:$T$31,Sheet1!$T$33,Sheet1!$T$36, Sheet1!$T$38,Sheet1!$T$54:$T$62,Sheet1!$T$69,Sheet 1!$T$90:$T$93,Sheet1!$T$98:$T$104,Sheet1!$T$109,Sh eet1!$T$117:$T$119,Sheet1!$T$122:$T$127,Sheet1!$T$ 131

And they get truncated before I'm done with values. I did get around it by
having multiple worksheets named: LA, LB, MA, MB, etc. but then if I change
anything on the master sheet, I have to change it on other sheets, unless
there is a way to dynamically link everything, which there probably is, but
this is still becomming quite a headache.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Excel has a specification limit of 255 data series in a chart
Not sure I could read with much more than 10!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Lloyd Benson" <Lloyd wrote in message
Basically put, when I'm trying to graph specific values from a very large
and
complex spreadsheet, I can't use all the cells I need to use because the X
Values: and Y Values: are truncated at 255 characters. Is there any sort
of
fix for this?

Jon Peltier

The solution is to somehow construct a consolidation range which has the
relevant data in a contiguous range of cells. Formulas, sorting, pivot
tables, whatever. You might even need to make multiple copies of your
source data, just to get out what you need.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services