Mary Ann

Default Bubble Chart Labels

I have created a bubble chart which shows % Growth on the X axis, % Profit on
the Y axis and turnover value as the size of the bubble.

How do I label each bubble so that I know which product each one refers to?
I have seen from previous posts that I cant select the labels when I select
the data for the chart.

I am using Excel 2003
Jon Peltier

Mary Ann -

There are a couple free third party Excel add-ins you can use to apply
text from cells as data labels in a chart:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Mary Ann wrote:
I have created a bubble chart which shows % Growth on the X axis, % Profit on
the Y axis and turnover value as the size of the bubble.

How do I label each bubble so that I know which product each one refers to?
I have seen from previous posts that I cant select the labels when I select
the data for the chart.

I am using Excel 2003

bj

one way to do it is to make an XY chart the same size as the bubble chart and
overlay it. Have each xy pair be a different data set with the lable be the
product name and select none for line and symbol but select series name for
data lable.

Mary Ann wrote:
I have created a bubble chart which shows % Growth on the X axis, % Profit on
the Y axis and turnover value as the size of the bubble.

How do I label each bubble so that I know which product each one refers to?
I have seen from previous posts that I cant select the labels when I select
the data for the chart.

I am using Excel 2003

Andy Pope

You can make the link manually if you don't want to, or work won't allow
you, to use an addin. I have some instructions for the chart title but
the technique applies to data labels as well.
http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip001.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Mary Ann

Thanks bj
Sorry to be thick on this how do you set up each xy pair as a different
data set? I am only getting one series and therefore only one opportunity to
create a name. Ive tried selected a pair, holding down Control and then
selecting the next but that makes no difference I still get just one
series. I hope youre still there, only just been able to get onto this
again. Thanks for your help so far.

Mary Ann wrote:
I have created a bubble chart which shows % Growth on the X axis, % Profit on
the Y axis and turnover value as the size of the bubble.

How do I label each bubble so that I know which product each one refers to?
I have seen from previous posts that I cant select the labels when I select
the data for the chart.

I am using Excel 2003

Mary Ann

Hi Andy
Thanks for your response. Hope youre still there. Ive just tried setting
up the link to a cell for the data labels and that works fine. I would like
to be able to show the product name and the value for the bubble. Ive tried
concatenation, as I understand it, but it doesnt work. The formula I had was
=Sheet!A3& &Sheet1D3 where A3 holds the product name and D3 the value.

Is it possible to have the data label show both in a bubble chart?

Hi,

Mary Ann wrote:

I have created a bubble chart which shows % Growth on the X axis, % Profit on
the Y axis and turnover value as the size of the bubble.

How do I label each bubble so that I know which product each one refers to?
I have seen from previous posts that I cant select the labels when I select
the data for the chart.

I am using Excel 2003

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

The formula for the data label should be a simple cell reference like
=Sheet1!E1 , where the formula in E1 would be,
=Sheet1!A3 & " " & Sheet1!D3

Cheers
Andy

Mary Ann wrote:
Hi Andy
Thanks for your response. Hope youre still there. Ive just tried setting
up the link to a cell for the data labels and that works fine. I would like
to be able to show the product name and the value for the bubble. Ive tried
concatenation, as I understand it, but it doesnt work. The formula I had was
=Sheet!A3& &Sheet1D3 where A3 holds the product name and D3 the value.

Is it possible to have the data label show both in a bubble chart?

Hi,