Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel Chart Plot Area Drifts, Shrinks

Greg G,
did you ever get a fix? I am having the same problem and I have changed my printer default and it has not worked.

any help would be great.

thanks,

On Thursday, July 12, 2007 4:04 PM JonOfAllTrade wrote:

Good afternoon. I've encountered an infuriating problem in Excel charts, and
I haven't found a solution in Excel or on Google. Has anyone else seen this?
I'm using Excel 2K3, Windows XP, fully patched up. It's happend to other
users on other computers, too.

On some charts, the plot area for a chart can shrink, or occasionally grow,
on it's own. I'll just click on the chart and the plot will shrink slightly,
and possibly move slightly too. This happens each time I click on it, and
sometimes when I open the workbook, or work on other charts. There's
typically some visual corruption, too, the plot area box will remain visible,
slightly. Once a chart gets "infected" it will not stop, and I have to
either periodically stretch out the area again, or delete it and recreate it.
This can happen on pie charts and line charts, that I've noticed. It seems
to happen in larger Excel files, 5+ MB, and mostly only when charts' areas
overlap, but that's not all there is to it: sometimes a lone chart will be
affected, and sometimes overlapping charts are fine.
I'm quite sure I'm not accidentally dragging the plot area, or a resize
handle. It'll happen when I'm moving the chart, or clicking on the labels.
It's not from deleting or resizing rows or columns, all of my charts are
move-but-don't-resize and I'm not working with rows or cells at all on these
worksheets.

This is especially maddening when I'm linking Excel charts into PowerPoint.
I may paste in four equal-sized pie charts, and after some twiddling I come
back and one pie has shrunk to a pinpoint. On other slides I have line
charts neatly lined up with a PPT rectangle object to highlight a section,
and every time I open the file I need to adjust the chart's plot area again.
I don't remember seeing this before I started working with PowerPoint, so I
suppose there could be something about the OLE linking process that causes
Excel to handle charts differently, but if so it only affects a few.

This seems like a cumulative rounding error, maybe. Has anyone seen this?
Any ideas how to stop it? I'll give you my first born son!

On Monday, February 16, 2009 10:04 AM El Stevo Loco wrote:

I just found your post on Eggheadcafe.

I was struggling with this myself this morning, then I hit print preview, and that's what gave me the clue.

Last Friday I was testing on a zebra label printer so I forgot that I had changed it to be my default printer.

I'm pretty sure that's why Excel shrank my full page sized charts.

On Monday, November 01, 2010 2:15 PM Greg G wrote:

JonOfAllTrade: I know the original post is over 3 yrs old now, but did you ever get a resolution to this? Did changing the printer actually work? (Hasn't for me.)

Nothing I've tried has worked. Hair already gone... nothing left to pull. :(

Thanks.

Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Luis. I'm pretty sure our issue was resolved when we installed an Excel hotfix. Here's the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973402

Also, Excel had to have latest SP installed too.

Hope this helps.