jerry chapman

Default Changing "Series" Name

When I create a chart with two different line dispays there is a legend at
the right side that says:
Series 1
Series 2
How can I change the to say:
John
Mary
?

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Changing "Series" Name

Sure, I can help you with that! Here are the steps to change the "Series" names in your chart to "John" and "Mary":
  1. Click on the chart to select it.
  2. Look for the "Chart Design" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen and click on it.
  3. In the "Chart Layouts" group, click on the "Add Chart Element" dropdown menu.
  4. Select "Legend" and then choose "More Legend Options" at the bottom of the menu.
  5. In the "Format Legend" dialog box that appears, click on the "Series" tab.
  6. Click on the name of the first series (which should be "Series 1") and type in "John" to replace it.
  7. Click on the name of the second series (which should be "Series 2") and type in "Mary" to replace it.
  8. Click "OK" to close the dialog box and apply the changes.

That's it! Your chart should now display the names "John" and "Mary" in the legend instead of "Series 1" and "Series 2".
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
John Mansfield

Jerry,

To add series names to the legend, first click on your chart to activate it.
Then, go to the standard toolbar and hit Chart - Source Data - Series Tab.
In the Series dialog box you should see a field called "Name". You can add
a name for each of your two series in this field. To move between the two
series to individually add a name, click on "Series1" or "Series2" on the
left side of the dialog box under the "Series" option.

Another way to add series names is to add titles above each of your columns
before building your chart. For example, using the data below start column 1
in cell A2, column 2 in cell B1, and column 3 in cell C1.

Title1 Title2
a 2 3
b 3 4
c 2 3

After the data is entered into the spreadsheet, go to cell A1, activate the
Chart Wizard, and go through the prompts. The Chart Wizard should
automatically assign "Title1" to series 1 and "Title2" to series 2.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"jerry chapman" wrote:

When I create a chart with two different line dispays there is a legend at
the right side that says:
Series 1
Series 2
How can I change the to say:
John
Mary
?

Allabout

Click on the line representing the series you want to name and then click
your right mouse button over it. Choose 'Source data' from the menu and
then click on the Series tab at the top of the window. The series you
clicked on should be selected in the box on the left of the window and you
can type a name for it in the box on the right hand side, select the Series2
on the left when you have done the first series and you can name that as
well.

Andrea Jones
www.allaboutoffice.co.uk