Basil

Default up down bar value (difference)

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from the upper
line. I would like the difference of value between the two lines (i.e. the
height of the down bars) to be shown within the down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil
bj

one way to do it, (If I understand what you want) on the spread sheet
calculate the difference in say D1:D4
on the chart start a text box and in the formula bar enter = and point to
the cell with the difference.
format the text box for the alignment and fill colors you want and place it
on the
down bar for each data point pair.

"Basil" wrote:

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from the upper
line. I would like the difference of value between the two lines (i.e. the
height of the down bars) to be shown within the down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil

bj

another way would be to find the midpoint between each data pair
lable each midpoint data pair as the delta value
plot this group of data as mutilple data series.
select each one to show data lables for series lable and delete the legend
for that series from the legend box. You can format the lables as to
orientation veritical etc.
(I really miss the old Data lables as assigned that used to be available. I
have no idea why that was removed, Cause I used to use it A bunch)

"Basil" wrote:

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from the upper
line. I would like the difference of value between the two lines (i.e. the
height of the down bars) to be shown within the down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil

Andy Pope

Have a look at this example I've put together. I combines both of bj's
suggestions but only requires 1 extra data series.

http://www.andypope.info/charts/Hilolabel.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Jon Peltier

(I really miss the old Data lables as assigned that used to be available. I
have no idea why that was removed, Cause I used to use it A bunch)

The up-down bars have never had a labeling capability. The alternative approach is
to build a floating column chart, and use the columns' data labels to display the
difference data. The nice thing about a floating column chart is that the value is
the difference between top and bottom, so simple data labels using the Show Value
option will do the trick.

Floating Column Charts:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...ngColumns.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"Basil" wrote:

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from the upper
line. I would like the difference of value between the two lines (i.e. the
height of the down bars) to be shown within the down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil

Andy Pope

Hi Jon,

The column technique works great for positive values but not so for
negative ones.

Cheers
Andy

"Basil" wrote:

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars from
the upper line. I would like the difference of value between the
two lines (i.e. the height of the down bars) to be shown within the
down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

Hi Jon,

Not sure I understand the questions.

If you take my example and replace the line series with the stacked
columns for negative gaps the 2nd set of columns will appear below the
1st and not in the gap in between.

Cheers
Andy

"Basil" wrote:

Hiya,

I have a line chart with two lines. I have included down bars
from the upper line. I would like the difference of value between
the two lines (i.e. the height of the down bars) to be shown
within the down bars.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Basil

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Jon Peltier

Andy -

The higher the plot order, the further from the X axis a series will be
positioned. In my "Column Chart That Crosses the X-Axis" example, I have
duplicate series, one for each series you ought to have to plot, with
the negative copies in reverse order compared to the positive copies.

For fun, plot this data in a column chart, with series in rows:

A B C D
a 1 -1 1 -1
b 2 -2 -2 2
c 3 -3 3 -3
d 4 -4 -4 4
e 5 -5 5 -5

At categories A and B, series 'a' is always closest to the X axis and
'e' is always furthest. This means 'a' is under 'b' if they both are
positive, but 'a' is over 'b' if both are negative. If they are of mixed
signs, 'a' and 'b' appear on opposite sides of the axis.

This behavior is logical, after you've played with it and thought about
it. But at first glance, it can be very confusing to the users.

- Jon
-------