Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default problem with scatter diagram excel 2007

Have 2 data columns with 800 data points . I highlight the data and select
the xy scatter diagram from the chart options. The graph that is produced
plots the y values against the number of data points and not the x values in
the column. However when I click on the "select data" option and "edit" the
series that was created, the data ranges for the x and y axes are the correct
ones.

Help will be appreciated

Cheers,

--
RJS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Isnt that what its supposed to do?

I have just put up a scatter chart at:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

Its item number 62 towards the top of my home page.

This example is pulled directly from MS documentation.

Thanks.

"RJS" wrote:

Have 2 data columns with 800 data points . I highlight the data and select
the xy scatter diagram from the chart options. The graph that is produced
plots the y values against the number of data points and not the x values in
the column. However when I click on the "select data" option and "edit" the
series that was created, the data ranges for the x and y axes are the correct
ones.

Help will be appreciated

Cheers,

--
RJS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

RJS -

If any value in the X axis data range is interpreted as text instead of
numerical, Excel changes the XY (Scatter) chart horizontal axis to ordinal
1,2,3,4,..., just like a Line chart type.

So, check the data in the X column. To coerce what look like numbers to
actually be numbers, you could enter 0 (zero) in a cell, Copy the cell,
select the X data, and Paste Special | Add.

- Mike
www.MikeMiddleton.com