AndyE

Default Chart point colours to show time trend

Is there any way that I can plot two sets of data against each other, while
getting the colour to vary depending on how recent the data points are?

I'm using a scatter graph to build up a pattern of the interaction between
two variables, but it would be great to know where in the (now 900) data I
currently am, and what the short-term trends are...
Andy Pope

See Jon Peltier's example of conditional charts.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
AndyE

Yes, but what I want is to show say change in price against change in volume
(for an example), over say 2 years, with the colour of the plot points
progressing from e.g. blue to red (via magenta on the way) over the two
years, so you can track the data over time. I've seen it done, but I think
elsewhere (different system, quite possibly).

It's a question of setting up a relatively slow progression in the colour
changes...

Hi,

AndyE wrote:
Is there any way that I can plot two sets of data against each other, while
getting the colour to vary depending on how recent the data points are?

I'm using a scatter graph to build up a pattern of the interaction between
two variables, but it would be great to know where in the (now 900) data I
currently am, and what the short-term trends are...

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

Andy Pope

The conditional approach will work but it would require quite a few
helper columns.

Another way would be via VBA.

do you have data about the age of each point in another column or are
the points within the column already in age order?

AndyE wrote:
Yes, but what I want is to show say change in price against change in volume
(for an example), over say 2 years, with the colour of the plot points
progressing from e.g. blue to red (via magenta on the way) over the two
years, so you can track the data over time. I've seen it done, but I think
elsewhere (different system, quite possibly).

It's a question of setting up a relatively slow progression in the colour
changes...

Hi,