Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default copying chart to location within same workbook

I have created a chart that I wish to use as a template for many other charts
in the same workbook. I copy it by right-clicking on the tab, €˜name of chart'
sheet, select €˜move or copy, tick the €˜create a copy box and okay. I have
done this hundreds of times in Excel over the last year, but now I get the
message:

A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'check', which
already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version
of the name?
To use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes.
To rename the range referred to in the formula or worksheet, click No, and
enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box.

Okay, so I hit the 'yes' and get the same message again, this time instead
of the word 'check' it has 'recorder'. If I hit yes, it will copy the book,
problem solved. If I try to close the message or hit 'no', I'm prompted to
enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box and it won't let me cancel
out. So I tried it once and typed the new name 'wv'. So now every time I try
and copy the sheet, I have to hit 'yes' 3 times. Okay, so I could do that,
but it's very annoying as I need to do this many times. I just want to copy
the chart as a template to then add/edit other data series. I've searched for
the words 'check' and 'recorder' and they are nowhere within the workbook.

I am using Excel 2007 and in the default format (.xlsx). I've looked to see
if there's a macro and there are none.

I could click on the chart and copy/paste it into another sheet but then it
is like an object in a sheet rather than as I've previously done successfully.

Does anyone know what's going on here??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

It would seem that you have some "named" cells.
This is explained in http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/me/mes9p2.html

To see what named cells you have in a worksheet: open Formula tab, click the
Defined Names icon in the Defined Names group near centre of ribbon. A
dialog with a list of named ranges and cells will appear.

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"HelenR" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thankyou so much Bernard! You have been so helpful, it's made my day. The
original spreadsheet had been created by someone else who obviously knew
about naming ranges, now I've learnt something new!
Cheers,
Helen

.