Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Charting on Primary & Secondary Axis - Zero Point Does Not Align

Hi

I am charting profit margins ranging from - 6 to 8+ on the primary axis
(line graph) and net worth of the companies (columns) on the secondary axis.
How do I align the zero point (0%) on the primary and 0$ on the secondary
axis? Right now, the chart that I have shows the bottom of the columns on
the same horizontal plane as the -6% profit margin point on the chart.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Charting on Primary & Secondary Axis - Zero Point Does Not Align

Hi there!

To align the zero point on the primary and secondary axis, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the chart and go to the "Format" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Horizontal (Category) Axis" and select "Format Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Axis" pane, under "Axis Options", set the "Minimum" value to
    Formula:

    .
  4. Click on "Vertical (Value) Axis" and select "Format Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Format Axis" pane, under "Axis Options", set the "Minimum" value to
    Formula:

    .
  6. Now, both the primary and secondary axis will start from 0 and align at the zero point.

If the above steps don't work, you can try changing the chart type to a combination chart. Here's how:
  1. Select the chart and go to the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Change Chart Type" and select "Combo" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Combo" pane, select the "Line" chart type for the primary axis and the "Column" chart type for the secondary axis.
  4. Click on the "Line" chart type and select "Secondary Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  5. Click on the "Column" chart type and select "Primary Axis" from the drop-down menu.
  6. Now, both the primary and secondary axis will start from 0 and align at the zero point.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello,

Jon Peltier has instructions showing how to align the zeros on a primary and
secondary axis on his site. Please refer to the link below.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html

--
John Mansfield
http://www.cellmatrix.net