Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Surpressing plot of blank cells

I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot
lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero
points.

How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to
leave the blank cells unplotted?

I appreciate your help, -John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If they are truly blank then check the plot empty cells setting via.
Select Data Hidden and Empty cells.

If the Cells in fact contain formula then use NA() instead of "". This will
suppress the data marker but will not break the line.

Alternatively use Autofilter to hide unwanted rows.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"John" wrote in message
I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot
lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero
points.

How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to
leave the blank cells unplotted?

I appreciate your help, -John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The cells I am plotting are non-empty, they contain the formula
=IF('Monthly Input'!I32<"",'Monthly Input'!I32,"")
that picks up none empty cells from another sheet. Checking the "Plot empty
cells" option does not surpress the plotting of these cells as zero points.

How do I change my formula to cause zero points to not plot?

I appreciate your help, -John

"John" wrote in message
I'm creating a line chart plot using Excel 2007. The data range for plot
lines contains some blank cells. These blank cells get plotted as zero
points.

How do I change this behavior to plot only points that have values and to
leave the blank cells unplotted?

I appreciate your help, -John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Funny thing. I can get this to work if I'm using a straight IF()
function...but using a check on the value returned by VLOOKUP, while the cell
still shows "#N/A" as a result of the source cell being blank, the chart
seems to recognize it differently. (I have two spreadsheets going with the
same data, one of which only needs a single value updated to slide the date
forward, whereas the other requires all formulae in all columns to be
updated...naturally, I want to use the VLOOKUP version)

So...using if(source="",NA(),source) shows "#N/A" and plots no point.
Using IF(VLOOKUP(source)=0,NA(),VLOOKUP(source)) shows "#N/A" and plots 0:00.