Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel Chart Trendlines and percentages of increase or decrease

Does anyone know how to get the exact percentage of the overall trend rate
when you trend data via Excel?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Excel Chart Trendlines and percentages of increase or decrease

Yes, you can easily get the exact percentage of the overall trend rate when you trend data via Excel. Here are the steps to follow:
  1. First, create a chart in Excel with the data you want to trend.
  2. Next, add a trendline to the chart by right-clicking on one of the data points and selecting "Add Trendline."
  3. In the "Format Trendline" pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, select the "Trendline Options" tab.
  4. Under "Trendline Options," select the "Display Equation on chart" checkbox.
  5. The equation for the trendline will now appear on the chart. The equation will be in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the trendline.
  6. To calculate the percentage increase or decrease of the trend rate, you need to divide the slope of the trendline by the initial value of the data and then multiply by 100.
  7. For example, if the equation for the trendline is y = 0.5x + 10 and the initial value of the data is 100, the percentage increase of the trend rate would be (0.5/100) x 100 = 0.5%.

That's it! You now know how to get the exact percentage of the overall trend rate when you trend data via Excel.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you want to know what percentage B1 is of A1, use the formula =B1/A1 and
format as percentage.
If you are wanting to calculate a different percentage, modify the formula
accordingly.
--
David Biddulph

"no trend wizard" <no trend wrote in
message ...
Does anyone know how to get the exact percentage of the overall trend rate
when you trend data via Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do you mean the slope of the line?
Look at SLOPE function
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"no trend wizard" <no trend wrote in
message ...
Does anyone know how to get the exact percentage of the overall trend rate
when you trend data via Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I have a chart in which I right click on the data set and select add
trendline. What I need to know is how can I determine the % of the
increase/decrease/slope of the line? I would like to tell my colleagues that
their volumes are trending upware by x% each month -- how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How do your figure the slope? Isn't there somewhere in EXCEL??

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Multiply the slope by 100?
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
remove caps from email

"no trend wizard" wrote in message
I have a chart in which I right click on the data set and select add
trendline. What I need to know is how can I determine the % of the
increase/decrease/slope of the line? I would like to tell my colleagues
that
their volumes are trending upware by x% each month -- how do I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What did you find when you asked Excel help about slope?
--
David Biddulph

"no trend wizard" wrote in message
How do your figure the slope? Isn't there somewhere in EXCEL??

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Multiply the slope by 100?