Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Greek Letter as a Text String

I am trying to write a simple logical condition,
If A = 0, Sigma =1, other wise Sigma =2,

I write it using if function, but I cannot write the small sigma symbol
which is very annoying as the output is considered. Tried with CHAR(number)
but don't have any ascii value for greek letters.
Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

raj74 wrote on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:38:01 -0700:

I am trying to write a simple logical condition,
If A = 0, Sigma =1, other wise Sigma =2,

I write it using if function, but I cannot write the small
sigma symbol which is very annoying as the output is
considered. Tried with CHAR(number) but don't have any ascii
value for greek letters. Please help.

Insert Symbol should do the job in Excel if you switch to the Unicode
set of characters.

Lower case sigma is Unicode 03c3 by the way..If your Excel is as
antiquated as mine (2002), the ALT-X method does not work like in Word
etc.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello James!!!!!!

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for replying late. I am not conversent
with uni code in excel. So if you can explain in little bit detail. Here
where I stuck..

I prepred a template of calculation in excel where there is inbetween checks
to see a coefficient (small sigma) calculated is greater than 1 or not. If it
less than 1 string will show "sigma is ok", if less than 1, "sigma is not ok".
I can not write the text string with symbol small sigma,I don't want sigma
to shown by a spelt text like "sigma" or any other english letter.
Hope I explain my proble.
Please help.

Regards

Raj

"James Silverton" wrote:

raj74 wrote on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:38:01 -0700:

I am trying to write a simple logical condition,
If A = 0, Sigma =1, other wise Sigma =2,

I write it using if function, but I cannot write the small
sigma symbol which is very annoying as the output is
considered. Tried with CHAR(number) but don't have any ascii
value for greek letters. Please help.

Insert Symbol should do the job in Excel if you switch to the Unicode
set of characters.

Lower case sigma is Unicode 03c3 by the way..If your Excel is as
antiquated as mine (2002), the ALT-X method does not work like in Word
etc.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

raj74 wrote on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:21:01 -0700:

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for replying late. I am
not conversent with uni code in excel. So if you can explain
in little bit detail. Here where I stuck..

I prepred a template of calculation in excel where there is
inbetween checks to see a coefficient (small sigma) calculated
is greater than 1 or not. If it less than 1 string will show
"sigma is ok", if less than 1, "sigma is not ok". I can not
write the text string with symbol small sigma,I don't want
sigma to shown by a spelt text like "sigma" or any other
english letter. Hope I explain my proble.
Please help.

I don't think you can insert a symbol directly into an IF statement.
=IF(a1<2, " s = 1", "s =2") would work but you can't insert a sigma into
that statement insteads of the "s" as far as I know.

What you can do is write " = 1" in a cell, insert the sigma symbol at
the beginning of the string and copy the cell into the IF statement.

To get the sigma symbol in, say, Arial, you click insert symbol, make
sure that the Unicode hexadecimal set is available (at the last line of
the panel there is the choice Unicode (hex) ), find lower case sigma and
insert it. As I mentioned, the Unicode for lower case sigma is 03C3 and
the symbol panel will show the Unicode if you click a symbol.

I have used variations, including giving my text strings names, that may
be useful. I don't know why the sequence 03C3ALT-x does not work in my
version of Excel. Help implies that it should. I'm no expert and I have
asked about it in m.p.excel.misc. I wonder if I will get an answer?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland