Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Trying to change x-axis date range

I have a scatter chart with dates on the x-axis and data on the y. When
trying to change the range of my x-axis, I right click on the x-axis, click
"format axis" and for "Minimum" and "Maximum" I click "Fixed" but it will
only let me enter dates in the number format (i.e. 39983 instead of
6/19/2009). This is really annoying because I am constantly changing ranges
to zoom in on the data and need to think about what the number format would
be. I didn't have this problem with the earler version of excel (2003), but
it started as soon as my office upgraded to 2007. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

The ability to enter dates directly, although not time, is fixed in Service
pack 2.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/do...s/default.aspx

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"jschultzbass" wrote in message
I have a scatter chart with dates on the x-axis and data on the y. When
trying to change the range of my x-axis, I right click on the x-axis,
click
"format axis" and for "Minimum" and "Maximum" I click "Fixed" but it will
only let me enter dates in the number format (i.e. 39983 instead of
6/19/2009). This is really annoying because I am constantly changing
ranges
to zoom in on the data and need to think about what the number format
would
be. I didn't have this problem with the earler version of excel (2003),
but
it started as soon as my office upgraded to 2007. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

My bad. Looks like they only fixed dates on line/column/bar charts and
not xy-scatter, which I assume is what your chart type is.

Looks like you will have to use a cell formatted as number to get the
correct value.

Cheers
Andy

"Andy Pope" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
G G is offline

Andy, that doesn't work either. When I change the chart type to number, it
just remains as number.

I'm wondering what changed in 2007 that prevents a person from simply
entering in a date and having the date remain instead of going back to a
numerical sequence.

Thanks in advance.

"Andy Pope" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What I meant was in order to know what value to use instead of a date was to
enter the required date in a cell and then change the number format of the
cell. This will then display the value
So for your example

Enter 6/19/2009
Change to number in order to reveal 39983

You will then manually have to enter the value to set the scale.

All of the charting section changed in xl2007, it was completely re-written.

Cheers
Andy