Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel - Stock Chart questions

How do I create a stock chart where the 'closing price' is OUTSIDE of the
High-low range?

Basically, I'm plotting sales forecasts accuracy - so I'm comparing the
final result with their high-low range. I like the stock chart format, but
can't figure-out how to plot the closing price (whisker?) outside of the range
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

At least two ways exist:

1. Change the Close series to an XY type, then format the XY series to use
the primary axis.

2. Format the Close series to plot on the secondary axis, then use Chart
Options Axes (or the corresponding commands on the middle Chart Tools
contextual tab in the ribbon) to remove the secondary axes.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Greg" wrote in message
How do I create a stock chart where the 'closing price' is OUTSIDE of the
High-low range?

Basically, I'm plotting sales forecasts accuracy - so I'm comparing the
final result with their high-low range. I like the stock chart format,
but
can't figure-out how to plot the closing price (whisker?) outside of the
range

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Jon - thanks, this is very helpful - I can easily do #2.

For #1 - can you please explain how I change the Close series to an XY type?

Thanks for your help
--
Greg

"Greg" wrote in message
How do I create a stock chart where the 'closing price' is OUTSIDE of the
High-low range?

Basically, I'm plotting sales forecasts accuracy - so I'm comparing the
final result with their high-low range. I like the stock chart format,
but
can't figure-out how to plot the closing price (whisker?) outside of the
range

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Greg -

Right click on the series, choose (Change) Chart Type, and select an XY
style from the dialog. By selecting a series first, you limit the change to
the selected series.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______