Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default line chart using one column as x axis, another column as y axis?

I have data in one column that I want to plot as x axis values and another
column that I want to plot on y axis values.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Do you want a line chart, which treats X values as non-numeric category
labels, or an XY chart, which treats X values as continuously variable
numerical values? You can format the data in either chart type the same
(lines or not, markers or not): the difference is in this treatment of the X
values.

The best way to do this is to put your X and Y values in adjacent columns, X
to the left. Put a label above the Y values, but keep the cell above the X
values completely empty. Select the range of data and start the chart wizard
(Excel l2003 and earlier) or use Insert Tab Chart ... to insert the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.