Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
JW JW is offline

Default changing area color based on line value

I have been working with an area chart colored in green. Based on certain
values of the graph, I would like the area just below the data point
highlighted in a different color (like red). In the end, the area graph will
have 2 different colors in the 'area' below the line. The color below, will
depend on the value of the line above. Any help is appreciated.

Also, I would consider a vertical bar graph where the spacing in between
bars is zero. That way, from a far, it could give the appearance of an area
graph. I think I would need each 'bar' colored appropriately. I have
struggled coming up with this graph as well.

I envision a 3 column data series...
Column A = x axis
Column B = y axis
Column C = logic calculation that determines whether the data point is
colored red or green.

I am open to suggestions and assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You cannot color an area chart in this way, but you can fudge it with a
column chart. Here's a technique:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"JW" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

It's not 100% clear whether the whole area between 2 points should be
coloured differently.

In xl2007 the conditional method suggested by Jon works quite well at
shading blocks between points. This is mainly due to the fact the gap
between points is now a vertical drop to the base line rather than a slope.

Perhaps an alternative is to use error bars. Add a line series, based on
only those points with the low values. Add minus 100% error bars.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel