Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Typing new Chart Title causes Excel Shut Down

I have an excel spreadsheet with graphs on the same sheet. I have had them
for 8 years. This month, when I went in to update the data (updating the
charts) I had to change the title on one of my graphs to say "Billings by
Client - 2009" versus 2008. I clicked on the title, went to the end,
backspaced, but the minute I typed in a '9', the error message showed up and
I said, yes, notify Microsoft.

I have tried deleting the current chart title and then inserting a new
title, which works fine, until I start typing inside the box with the new
title. The minute I click on a letter, number, whatever, it gives me an error
message, shuts down excel, reopens excel.

I only found one other person on google with this issue and the answer was
blocked. I cannot find any issues dealing with graph titles in the Knowledge
base at Microsoft. I need to get this graph done but cannot do much if I
cannot even change the title.

SOMEONE SUGGESTED THIS:
Do you get the same error if you try this code from the immediate window.

Select chart
ALT+F11 to go to VBE
CTRL+G to go to immediate window

enter the following and press enter.

Activechart.charttitle.text = "Billings by Client - 2009"

Have you tried converting the file to xl2007 format?

MY REPLY TO SUGGESTION:
Following your instructions I get the following:

Compile Error: Invalid use of property

Copying and pasting here what is in the immediate window

Activechart.charttitle text = "Billings by Clients - 2009"

Yes, that was one of the first things I looked at. And just in case
converting didn't work, I completed deleted one of my charts and created a
new one. The minute I tried to give the chart a title, it did the same thing,
knocked me out of Excel. This time it did give me a message from Microsoft
saying they noticed I kept getting kicked off so they ran all these
diagnostics and everything was fine.

It is sooooo frustrating. Of course, it doesn't help that my Access DB is
also having conversion problems so I am dealing with that while waiting for
help on this. What a fun Tuesday. Anymore suggestions? Appreciate your help,
JL

Can someone please help me with this issue or are Charts now just out of my
picture when using Excel. I am already having other Excel issues with
formatting that I cannot solve either so if I get some help here with the
above problem, maybe I can find help on the formatting problem also.

Thanks for your time, JL
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default SOLVED

This problem has been solved. The immediate window was correct. I had not
typed it in correctly.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Ok, so now we can change our chart titles by using the immediate window.
What is the "real" solution? How can my charts be fixed so I can change
titles by typing in the title box?

Thanks,

Brian