Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Stopping a chart when the data runs out

Using Excel 2007, I have a chart set up to display based on a table.
However, the table will have a variable number of entries. The way I
have the data defined now includes the whole table which has a maximum
of 25 entries. So if there are only 20 entries, the last 5 default to
"", or for practical purposes, 0.

If the rest of the table values are in the 70's, and the chart is a
control chart, that makes the chart "taller" than it needs to be, and
hard to read the part of the chart that contains the real data. What
I would like to do is define the data to be plotted dynamically so
that the chart ends when the data ends. If there are only 20 data
points, then only plot 20 points. But if I add a 21st data point, or
subtract one, then the chart would automatically adjust to either
include or exclude one more.

I've tried defining a name that covers the range, but for the chart
wizard doesn't like that.

Any help is appreciated.

Tim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You could do it with a dynamic named range. The trick is using the proper
syntax when inputting it into the chart wizard.

An example of a chart using dynamic range:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...umnChart1.html

Another idea, but not sure if it will work in your situation, would be to
try and get the cells that you don't want to chart to return NA() instead of
"". XL charts will ignore #NA values typically.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Tim" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tim -

Default to NA()

=If(B2<0,B2,NA()

which places #N/A into the cells. This looks ugly but is not plotted in a
line or XY chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

"Tim" wrote:
[...]

Tim- Hide quoted text -

Luke,

Thanks for the tip. I had been trying to create a dynamic chart, but
was having trouble using the name I had defined with the chart
wizard. But I had not tried to change the series in the formula bar
as the article directs. This should work!

My only other problem is that my data is in rows, not columns. COUNTA
will still work, but there doesn't seem to be a dynamic way to refer
to row data as you can with column data without specifying a definite
end. That was why I limited myself to 25 entries.

Tim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, Jon. This worked, also, but as you said, the data looked
pretty ugly. But since no one else but me will see the data, it
really doesn't matter. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

Tim -

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you were worried about it looking ugly, you could use conditional
formatting to turn the font white (or your background colour) if the cell
value is NA().
--
David Biddulph

"Tim" wrote in message
Thanks, Jon. This worked, also, but as you said, the data looked
pretty ugly. But since no one else but me will see the data, it
really doesn't matter. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

On Mar 20, 5:04 pm, "Jon Peltier"
Tim -

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can do dynamic ranges in rows as easily as in columns. Scroll down to
"Series in Rows" in this article:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/dynamic-charts/

- Jon
-------