Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
A A is offline

Default Load ws cell data into a textbox via click on chart datapoint

Not sure if this is a chart question or programming question.

If I have data in a worksheet like this:
A B C
1 Date Number Text
2 2 Dec 2000 234 Sunny Day
3 1 Dec 2000 117 Wrecked My Car

and I create a line chart, I'd like to be able to hover or click the mouse
on the data point in the chart and have the text from column C load into a
textbox (the text may be many paragraphs long).

Are there any ways to do this, either with VBA, C# or other techniques?

Thanks, Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Tushar Mehta has a utility that does something like this. Look for Auto
Chart Hover on his website (http://tushar-mehta.com). Otherwise you'll need
to use some kind of chart events to detect when you have moused over
something significant, and populate the textbox accordingly. For a primer on
chart events, look he

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"a" wrote in message
Not sure if this is a chart question or programming question.

If I have data in a worksheet like this:
A B C
1 Date Number Text
2 2 Dec 2000 234 Sunny Day
3 1 Dec 2000 117 Wrecked My Car

and I create a line chart, I'd like to be able to hover or click the mouse
on the data point in the chart and have the text from column C load into a
textbox (the text may be many paragraphs long).

Are there any ways to do this, either with VBA, C# or other techniques?

Thanks, Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
A A is offline

Thanks Jon. I tried Tushar's utility and am waiting for his answer to some
questions about it...can you tell me what object I need to use in order to
grab the contents of the column ("C") adjacent to the column ("B") that
contains the data for the datapoint on the graph?

Thanks, Paul

"a" wrote in message
Not sure if this is a chart question or programming question.

If I have data in a worksheet like this:
A B C
1 Date Number Text
2 2 Dec 2000 234 Sunny Day
3 1 Dec 2000 117 Wrecked My Car

and I create a line chart, I'd like to be able to hover or click the mouse
on the data point in the chart and have the text from column C load into a
textbox (the text may be many paragraphs long).

Are there any ways to do this, either with VBA, C# or other techniques?

Thanks, Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Uh, that's more than just one object. You need to figure out what cell the
point's data comes from, then find the cell offset by the correct amount,
then put this cell's content into the textbox. So that's a chart, a series,
a point, a series formula to parse, a worksheet, some ranges, a textbox,
plus a bunch of code to tie them together.

- Jon
-------

"a" wrote in message
Not sure if this is a chart question or programming question.

If I have data in a worksheet like this:
A B C
1 Date Number Text
2 2 Dec 2000 234 Sunny Day
3 1 Dec 2000 117 Wrecked My Car

and I create a line chart, I'd like to be able to hover or click the
mouse
on the data point in the chart and have the text from column C load
into a
textbox (the text may be many paragraphs long).

Are there any ways to do this, either with VBA, C# or other techniques?

Thanks, Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
A A is offline

Jon:

I'm going out of town for a week, but I'll work on this when I get back and
I hope you'll be willing to help if I get stuck.

Thanks for listing the pieces to the solution for me.

Paul