Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
msp msp is offline

Default change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text

I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data
for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer,
rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new
homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer.
After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer
18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these
are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown
in the legend, but I can't change this in the source spreadsheet or pivot
table because I need to continue using these to create more charts. I JUST
WANT TO CLICK ON THE LEGEND AND BE ABLE TO MANUALLY EDIT THAT TEXT THAT IS IN
THE LEGEND WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE SOURCE DATA.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I don't think its possible. I know you stated you didn't want to change your
source data, but would it be possible to have 2 columns, 1 of them being
status (new homebuyer, foreclosed, etc.) and the other being age? Then you
could make a graph with status being a page field, and age being the series.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"msp" wrote:

I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data
for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer,
rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new
homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer.
After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer
18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these
are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown
in the legend, but I can't change this in the source spreadsheet or pivot
table because I need to continue using these to create more charts. I JUST
WANT TO CLICK ON THE LEGEND AND BE ABLE TO MANUALLY EDIT THAT TEXT THAT IS IN
THE LEGEND WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE THE SOURCE DATA.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Depending on how much your chart data changes when you pivot the table, you
may be able to use a regular chart. This loses the pivoting but regains the
flexibility of a regular chart. Here's a tutorial:

peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/06/13/regular-charts-from-pivot-tables/

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.