Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to put conditions in Excel Chart data labels?

It annoys me to see the Data Label still appears for zero value in a chart.
Is there a way to put in condition that if value is zero then do not show the
Data Labels?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Use a custom number format that doesn't show zeros, for example, one of
these:

$0.00;($.00);;@
0.0%;-0.0%;;@
0;0;;@

For more about number formats, see
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/NumberFormats.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Therese" wrote in message
It annoys me to see the Data Label still appears for zero value in a
chart.
Is there a way to put in condition that if value is zero then do not show
the
Data Labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Jon.
The zero value no longer shows but the Data Label is still there. Is there a
way to remove the Data Label if the Value is Zero?

Therese

"Therese" wrote in message
It annoys me to see the Data Label still appears for zero value in a
chart.
Is there a way to put in condition that if value is zero then do not show
the
Data Labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

It sounds like the problem is that you have formatted the data labels fill
or border so that they are visible. If the data labels are not formatted
then suppressing the display as Jon suggested takes care of the problem.

However, if the values are going to remain fixed, so 0 values will remain 0
and you don't want to see the data labels you can delete individual data
labesl. Single click any data label, then single click the data label you
want to remove and press Del.

There is one additonal solution, you can write a VBA program that adds data
labels to data points when those points are <0. You can run such a macro
automatically whenever the values being plotted change.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Therese" wrote in message
It annoys me to see the Data Label still appears for zero value in a
chart.
Is there a way to put in condition that if value is zero then do not show
the
Data Labels?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Shane.
As it's a dynamic graph template where the values change depending on the
input data so I cannot delete the data items. Is it easy to write a VBA
program?