Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Expanding selected data

When creating a chart in 2007, I select a range of data containing sales by
month. I forgot to select the column or cells cotaining the sales categories
so the chart shows series1, series 2, series 3 and so on. I expanded the
selected data by dragging out the colored box/border surrounding the selected
data, but the my chart did not updated. why? how can my chart update
automatically when modififying the selected area? Thought it was possible in
2007. Thansk
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

If your chart didn't include a title range then there is no purple border
available to expand. The blue border is stricly for the data, not the series
titltes.

1. Select the series on the chart and note the formula (on the Formula Bar),
something like this:
=SERIES(Sheet1!$E$1,,Sheet1!$E$2:$E$19,1)

See the ,, your series title range should be inbetween those. Click between
the commas on the formula bar and highlight the range where the series labels
are.
Press Enter.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"veanmas" wrote:

When creating a chart in 2007, I select a range of data containing sales by
month. I forgot to select the column or cells cotaining the sales categories
so the chart shows series1, series 2, series 3 and so on. I expanded the
selected data by dragging out the colored box/border surrounding the selected
data, but the my chart did not updated. why? how can my chart update
automatically when modififying the selected area? Thought it was possible in
2007. Thansk

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Shane. Unfoturnately, when I selected the series on the chart it
didnot show anything on the formula; however, if I clicked the 'selected
data' button I get the original range that created my chart.

I did find out that if I only chart my data (blue border), then expand my
range (via blue boarder) to the right to include my categories it creates a
purple boarder around the categores and automatically updates my chart. I
then expand my blue border up to include the titles and it automatically
borders them with a green border - again updating my chart automatically.

However, if I originally chart my categories (purple border) and data (blue
border) - then expand my blue border to include the titles -- my chart will
not update automatically like it did above. the work around is to click the
'switch row/column' data to force the chart to update.

thanks for responding.