Old October 19th 08, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Worksheet/chart tabs changed names!

I making a workbook that will have approx. 130 charts and name each tab as I
go. Yesterday, I finished up number 68 and this morn I opened the workbook
and found that ALL the tabs have converted to numerals! What would cause
that? I depended on the tab names to inform me of alignment of data.

Old October 19th 08, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Since I have heard of another case of this, what version of Excel are you
using? Did the workbook have all the tabs in it before you started adding
the chart, so that as you added charts you names each tab? Or did you create
and name a tab and then continue? When you say numerals what do you mean -
1, 2, 3, 4 or Chart 1, Chart 2, .... or Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3...? Are the
sheet numbers in their original order, that is are they named from left to
right in the same order as they were before you named them or are they in a
random order?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

Old October 19th 08, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel 2007;
I created/inserted charts and relocated each as a new page in workbook and
renamed tabs from "chart 1" to data name;
Yes, chart 1, chart 2 . . ;
I assume and hope they are in original order. I will have to go back and
check each data source and ensure correct matches.

I've made thousands of charts in Excel 2003 and this never happened. I take
it that you don't know what caused it or how to prevent it from happening
again, or do you?

Thanks so much for responding.

Old October 19th 08, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

No, I've never seen it, I'm just trying to gather info to send to Microsoft,
or better yet discover a fix myself.

At first I though maybe you had saved a copy of the file before renaming the
tabs and then either opened that copy rather than the modified one, or had
not saved the modified version.

There was another post on this same problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

By the way about how many chart did you have in the WB when this happened?
(as chart sheets, not embedded charts).

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

Old October 20th 08, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Shane, I've seen something similar in PowerPoint 2007. When the
presentation was opened in 2007 is had a .ppt extension and had slides with
names that I'd set (other than the default names). When I saved the
presentation as a .ppt (97-2003?), all of the slide names changed back to
Slide1, Slide2, Slide3 format. The only way I was able to keep the slide
names with the slides, if the presentation was edited in 2007 was to save as
a 2007 format.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

Old October 20th 08, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hay Barb,

that's great input. When I send this topic to MS I will include this
information if you don't mind.

By the way how do you like PP 2007?

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

Old October 20th 08, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I believe the PowerPoint issue has been reported but you can add it. It may
be related.

How do I like PowerPoint 2007? I haven't used it a whole lot, but I don't
like that some of my footers that were in the 2003 version don't always show
in 2007. I'm still on the learning curve to find where everything is in
both Excel and PowerPoint and don't like that part at all.

Barb

Old October 24th 08, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The same has happened to me for quite a while. I made a half-hearted attempt
to get an answer from Microsoft tech support but they didn't seem to
acknowledge the problem. Some of my workbooks are fine, others have the
problem.

I wonder if the workbook where you've experienced the problem includes data
retrieved from an outside source.

Geoff

Old October 25th 08, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Folks,

I've posted the bug to Microsoft. Thanks for all your input.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

Old December 17th 08, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This same problem has been happening to me as well ever since I switched over
to 2007 last spring. As with others, it is more than a bit frustrating when
the actual names are relied on and then get switched back to default Chart 1,
Chart 2, etc. Isn't there any MVP out there that can get MS to look into
this?
--
javablood