ExcelBanter

-   -   Chart won't hold formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/205729-chart-wont-hold-formatting.html)

kermit October 9th 08 03:17 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

Excel 2007. I am trying to change the font size of data labels on a line
chart. Also changing the color of the lines. After making the changes and
saving the spreadsheet, if I close and reopen the sheet, the data labels and
line colors have reverted to default size, fonts, and color.

I need to put these charts in a powerpoint. When copying into power point
all formats also revert to default. Using Powerpoint 2007. Doesn't matter
what type of paste either. paste, paste link, or paste special. png, jpg, or
metafile all revert to default once pasted into powerpoint.

Presentation is Monday, Please help!!!

Christopher Scott [MSFT] October 10th 08 10:51 AM

Chart won't hold formatting

If you do a regular Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V paste into PowerPoint I think there
should be a little icon at the bottom right of the chart. If you drop that
down there should be an option called "use source formatting" or something
like that. Does that work? I can't check right now as I'm at home.
--
Thanks,
Christopher

kermit October 10th 08 03:31 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

Thanks for the idea Christopher, but it won't solve my problem, as the excel
chart won't keep the formatting in excel itself. If I change data labels font
size, color, ect and then save, close and reopen, the data labels have
reverted back to the default.

RMort October 30th 08 01:59 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

I am having the same problem with Excel 2003. My problem only effects the
newest data on my chart. The chart plots data per quarter for the last 3
years, but only the data from the current year reverts back to the default
format (Black Text, Arial, 10pt, Normal) I can change it to match the older
data and save, then reopen and it's back to the default format. Please help,
this report has very high visibility in my company.

Thanks, Rick

CranMalReign November 2nd 08 03:49 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

I, too, am suffering this problem. I have a three-series line chart and the
formatting for two of the series keeps reverting to unusable formats. I fix
them, save, close, reopen, and they're back to being unusable.

I even tried saving a custom chart type after fixing everything, and that
caused them to revert to the unusable formats.

I am using Office 2003.

I've been using Excel for many years and this is the first time I've ever
seen this problem.

If it's any help, my chart is a line chart with 3 data series, 2 of which
are on the primary X/Y axes, and the other is on secondary X/Y axes.

The first series (on the primary axis) works fine and holds all formats.
It's the 2nd and 3rd series (2nd on the primary and the one on the secondary)
that fail to hold formats. They re-check their "Linked to Source" options on
the Number tab (they shouldn't), they revert font size to 26.5 pt (should be
8) and remove all colors/borders/fills I apply.

This is very frustrating.

[email protected] November 19th 13 05:22 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

I also have this problem, my data labels won't stay as a percentage, keep defaulting back to a number. I can't find a solution anywhere on the web.

Claus Busch November 19th 13 05:27 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

Hi,

Am Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:22:12 -0800 (PST) schrieb
:

I also have this problem, my data labels won't stay as a percentage, keep defaulting back to a number. I can't find a solution anywhere on the web.

record a macro while formatting your chart as expected. After refreshing
your chart run that macro.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

[email protected] May 14th 20 05:50 PM

Chart won't hold formatting

I still see this issue in Excel / Office 365. I have a bar chart with labels showing percentages; if I change the size (to avoid some word wrap) and get it in good shape; save it, then re-open - they all go back to the ugly state. Really odd. Thanks for the tip on the macro, will give it a go.

jerry_maguire December 31st 20 08:58 AM

Try this:

Select any cell in your pivot table and right-click. Then choose PivotTable Options from the context menu. In the PivotTable Options dialog box, click the Layout & Format tab. Then check Preserve cell formatting on update item under the Format section or you cant get tips on O365CloudExperts.

Regards,
Jerry