Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Points Dimensions on a 3D Clustered Column Chart

Hi,
Need some valuable help on this:
I' ve got a 3D Clustered column Chart. I'd like to have the coordinates for
each point in a particular series. It's like when you move the mouse over any
point, it shows you a tip with the value and the name for that point. Well I
Need to have control on those coordinates to show a ListBox on top of the
chart showing specific information according to the point the mouse is moving
on.
I've been going through this trying to find any tips but the information i
got reffers to a 2D an scatter Charts, with 2 axis.

Really appreciated thanks are giving in advance
--
Edgar Rey
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The MouseMove and related events reveal these coordinates, if you base the
display of the notation on user events. The coordinates are related to
so-called chart coordinates, that is, pixels from the top left of the chart.
You would have to convert that to points in order to position the listbox or
textbox properly.

If you want to position objects on the chart in the absence of mouse events,
you can determine positions using algebra or other mathematical tools. This
is complicated by the use of a 3D chart type.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Edgar" wrote in message
Need some valuable help on this:
I' ve got a 3D Clustered column Chart. I'd like to have the coordinates
for
each point in a particular series. It's like when you move the mouse over
any
point, it shows you a tip with the value and the name for that point. Well
Need to have control on those coordinates to show a ListBox on top of the
chart showing specific information according to the point the mouse is
moving
on.
I've been going through this trying to find any tips but the information i
got reffers to a 2D an scatter Charts, with 2 axis.

Really appreciated thanks are giving in advance
--
Edgar Rey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Jon,
Maybe Complicated but there it is and works, cause when you move the mouse
over a single point, it shows the series name and the point value. (When
showtipsvalue and name are available).
If any mathematical function you know to manage that, I'd appreciate it.
--
Edgar Rey

"Edgar" wrote in message
Need some valuable help on this:
I' ve got a 3D Clustered column Chart. I'd like to have the coordinates
for
each point in a particular series. It's like when you move the mouse over
any
point, it shows you a tip with the value and the name for that point. Well
Need to have control on those coordinates to show a ListBox on top of the
chart showing specific information according to the point the mouse is
moving
on.
I've been going through this trying to find any tips but the information i
got reffers to a 2D an scatter Charts, with 2 axis.

Really appreciated thanks are giving in advance
--
Edgar Rey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

There is no simple mathematical function, as Jon mentioned it's maths.

If, as you say, you've already worked out how to get the point co-ord's for
a 2d all you need to do is work out the "diagonal" XY offset for each point
in the 3d. If the chart has the third Series-Axis your work is almost done.

with cht.axes(3)
xz = .width / no of series
yz = .height / no. of series
end with

idx = series-index
xzf = xzf * ( idx - 0.5)
yzf = yz * (idx - 0.5)

As written assumes the series-axis is on the right, sloping from bottom left
to top right and the other axes are in "typical" positions, if not some more
adjustments required.

Add xzf and yzf respectively to your XY point co-ord's

Regards,
Peter T

"Edgar" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Since I don't use 3D charts, I have not tried to do this kind of
calculation.

I had a thought. In Excel's old XLM language, you could determine the
coordinates of an element in the active chart. For example, to find the X-Y
coordinates of the top left corner of series 1, point 1 in a 2D column
chart:

X = ExecuteExcel4Macro("get.chart.item(1,1,""s1p1"")")
Y = ExecuteExcel4Macro("get.chart.item(2,1,""s1p1"")")

Works great in a 2D chart. I tried in a 3D chart, and Excel returned Error
2015, or #VALUE! So I guess it's even too hard for Excel to compute.

Any particular reason you need a 3D chart?

- Jon
-------