Geise, Brad

Default Data Table - Graph Links Breaking!!!

Hello all-

Ok so this is a really weird one.

To download the file discussed in the message below, pls visit the following
ftp://eff.csuchico.edu/downloads/BAD/HighDemog.xls

We publish books that also contain CDs - in the books we talk about
effective data analysis for schools, and on the CDs provide Excel templates
that allow users to replicate the illustrations seen in the book.

One excel graph we use is very common - published by us on many CDs, and
used for many, many years.

All of a sudden, we open the file and find some funky error messages that
talk about links being broken (and that the links were to another worksheet,
which has NEVER been the case). A number of options are presented to fix
the situation, none of which provide a remedy for the problems seen inside
the file.

To the problems inside the file...

So check out any of the tables and graphs that you see in any sheet within
the file - you click on the graph, and you see the table to the left light
up. Then, try to alter any of the data in the table - you do not see the
graph refresh after the new data is entered - entering the new data actually
breaks the link to the table!!!!!

NOT GOOD!

I have downloaded some patches from the microsoft site - if I open the old
file in the newly patched version of Excel, I still get the error. If I
rebuild the graphs (by cutting and pasting from the old file into a newly
created file) it seems to work.

Any ideas? This is holding up publication of another book!!!

Regards,

Brad
____________________________
email:
voice: 530-898-4482
fax: 530-898-4484
http://eff.csuchico.edu

Stephanie Krieger

Hi, Brad,

Nothing terribly sinister going on here at all. Someone
made some changes in your workbook -- these aren't bugs
that need patching. Easy enough to fix ...

First of all, your charts aren't updating when the table
is changed because the workbook is set to manually
update. Just go to Tools, Options, Calculation and set
calculation to automatic. Then your data will update
correctly.

The reason you're getting the link warning is that there
is a link in the workbook. I didn't look through the
entire workbook to find where it's linked ... but if you
go to Edit, Links, you'll see the source file trying to
be accessed. The file path will surely mean more to you
than to me -- so perhaps you'll be able to see who made
the changes that way and get an answer. But if you simply
break the link there -- it may cause an error where it
was linked in your workbook, but you won't get link
warnings anymore when you open the file.

Hope that helps.

Stephanie Krieger
author of Microsoft Office Document Designer (from
Microsoft Learning)
blog: arouet.net

.