Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Gantt Chart - Grouping?

Hey!!!

Got Office 2007 and trying to create a Gantt Chart. I got the basics down
but now need to adapt to what i want. Here's what i got followed by what i
want to achieve:

WHAT I GOT:
My table looks like this:

Task Start Duration Driver
Task 1 3 1 Johannes
Task 2 4 1 Aaron
Task 3 8 1 Geneve
Task 4 2 1 Myrna
Task 5 1 1 Wayne
Task 6 5 1 Myrna

I can create a basic Gantt Chart from that by select the first 3 columns.

WHAT I WANT TO DO:

I actually want to show the gantt by Driver NAme as the Vertical Category
Axis and obviously only show the driver's name once i.e. in the data above i
want to show Myrna's name once and not twich although it appears twich in the
table. I then want to show the two "points" in that same row...

How do i do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
ant1983 said:
Got Office 2007 and trying to create a Gantt Chart. I got the basics down
but now need to adapt to what i want.

Task Start Duration Driver
Task 1 3 1 Johannes
Task 2 4 1 Aaron
Task 3 8 1 Geneve
Task 4 2 1 Myrna
Task 5 1 1 Wayne
Task 6 5 1 Myrna

I actually want to show the gantt by Driver NAme as the Vertical Category
Axis and obviously only show the driver's name once i.e. in the data above i
want to show Myrna's name once and not twich although it appears twich in the
table. I then want to show the two "points" in that same row.

You need to set your table out like this:

Start Duration
1 3 1
2 4 1
3 8 1
4 2 1
5 1 1
4 5 1

Make your stacked bar chart, then using Chart.. Chart Options.. Axes,
change the category axis to Time-scale. Now the bars at position 4 are
the same level.

(I just tried this for the first time: I'm amazed it even works!)

Now you'll have to use dummy axis techniques to create your driver
labels, because the category axis has to be integers for this
"Time-scale" trick to work, it can't be labels.

Driver
Johannes 0 1
Aaron 0 2
Geneve 0 3
Myrna 0 4
Wayne 0 5

Add the second and third columns using Paste Special, then convert the
series from stacked bar to XY (Scatter). Then use an add-in to label the
points with the first column, or just label them by hand.

PS I have no idea how you'll do this in Excel 2007, all I can say is it
works in Excel 97.

--
Del Cotter