Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Is it possible to drag points in an Excel 2007 Scatter Chart?

In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart allowed for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is dragging data
points possible in Excel 2007?????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman" wrote in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart allowed for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Well, the reason that this upsets me is that I have used this feature a lot
for removing "outliers" from long lists of data.

Outliers are easily spotted on a plot, so in order to easily delete the
corresponding data point I wrote VB code that caught the
MyChartClass_SeriesChange event (which is raised after dragging a point on a
graph). This event returns the point index of the data being moved to the
event handler. In the event handler I simply cleared the contents of the
corresponding cell in the spreadsheet.

In this way all you had to do to remove outliers from the data list was to
select and drag them on the plot.

Are there in Excel 2007 any other events that can be used for this purpose

Regards

Morten

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman" wrote in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart allowed for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You could easily adapt one of these approaches:

http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221

start with the simple click to identify a point.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman" wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

2007 crashes:

The code below (using a chart event to "navigate" to a specific cell in the
grid) immediately crashes Excel 2007:
----------
Public WithEvents myChartClass As Chart

Private Sub myChartClass_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal ElementID As Long, ByVal
Arg1 As Long, ByVal Arg2 As Long, Cancel As Boolean)
If ElementID = xlSeries And Arg2 0 Then ' a point in a series
Range("A1").Offset(Arg2).Select
------
Similar code in Excel 2003 (using the SeriesChange event though) works fine.

Regards
Morten

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman" wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Worksheets("Chart Data").Range("A1").Offset(Arg2).Clear Works fine
Worksheets("Chart Data").Range("A1").Offset(Arg2).Select Crashes

Then I thought it might be because the spreadsheet was originally created in
2003 (and contained other stuff), so I created a worksheet from scratch in
2007 with only this class, and the assignment to a chart.

Same problem.

I then saved it in 2003 format, and reopened. Same problem.

I finally changed to my old XP / 2003 disk and booted (takes ages, which is
the main reason I changed to Vista / 2007). But when it finally finished
booting the code above worked fine in Excel2003.

So my conclusion is that 2007 has (yet another?) problem. Maybe I really
should consider to "downgrade" to 2003, and postpone my switch to 2007 yet
another year.

One question in this connection: Will running Outlook 2007 and Excel 2003 on
the same machine cause problems ? I like Outlook 2007 and would prefer to
keep it.

regards

Morten

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman"
wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart
allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is
dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If the sheet isn't active, you have to activate it before you can select the
cell.

Or use

Application.Goto Worksheets("Chart Data").Range("A1").Offset(Arg2)

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman"
wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart
allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to
the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is
dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Private Sub myChartClass_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal ElementID As Long, ByVal
Arg1 As Long, ByVal Arg2 As Long, Cancel As Boolean)
If ElementID = xlSeries And Arg2 0 Then
Debug.Print ElementID, Arg1, Arg2
Debug.Print Range("A1").Offset(Arg2).Address
Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Offset(Arg2).Clea r
Worksheets("Sheet1").Activate
Application.Goto Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Offset(Arg2)

..Activate, Application.Goto.... it still crashes.

Will Excel 2003 & Outlook 2007 work on same Vista machine ?

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman"
wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart
allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to
the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is
dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Problem signatu
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: EXCEL.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.6323.5000
Application Timestamp: 486cf744
Fault Module Name: oart.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.6214.1000
Fault Module Timestamp: 47069fb7
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00009c12
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.6
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman"
wrote
in
message ...
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart
allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back to
the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is
dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I've seen funny business with chart events in 2007, but have not worked with
them much yet, because I've had no demand yet. I don't have the ability to
test on Vista. Sorry.

- Jon
-------

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

This capability was removed from Excel 2007.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"CarltonTheDoorman"

wrote
in
message
In other versions of Excel, dragging points in a Scatter Chart
allowed
for
editing graph data on the graph rather than by switching back
the
data.
Following the same process in Excel 2007 is unsuccessful. Is
dragging
data
points possible in Excel 2007?????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I agree - this used to be a very handy feature. For example to
calculate the gradient of a custom line fit (where trendline would
honour points I wanted to ignore) I used to add a dummy series with
two points and move them on the chart to fit the data.