Christina1

Default How do I add column A data labels to a scatter of columns B and C?

I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I
would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the
XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the
data labels to show up on my graph.

Thank you!
Jon Peltier

Hi Christina -

There are a couple of well written Excel add-ins you can download to do
this:

Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http://appspro.com
John Walkenbach's Chart Tools, http://j-walk.com

Both are free downloads, they install easily, and they integrate into
Excel's interface very nicely. They let you select a series, then select
the range that contains their labels.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Christina1 wrote:

I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I
would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the
XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the
data labels to show up on my graph.

Thank you!

Christina1

Jon, thank you.

What I was trying to say is that I already have Bovey's XY chart labeler. I
don't know how to apply it. I am still making scatterplots and hoping to add
labels. I have Bovey's product selected under Format/Add-ins. Working in
excel, what is the process (i.e., what menus do I pull down) of selecting the
labels and making them appear?

Thanks,
Christina

Christina1 wrote:

I have made a scatter plot using columns B and C as my x and y coordinates. I
would like to use the data in column A to label my points. I already have the
XY chart labeler 97 installed and selected, but I don't know how to get the
data labels to show up on my graph.

Thank you!

John Mansfield

Christina,

To activate the chart labeler, click once on the chart you want to label.
Go to the standard toolbar and select Tools - XY Chart Labels - Add Chart
Labels. A dialog box should appear with three input boxes. The first input
box is titled "Select a Data Series to Label". Choose the series that you
want to label here - the box will show the series names. The second input
box is titled "Select a Label Range" - is self explanatory - choose the range
that contains the data that you want to show on your chart as labels. Last,
you can choose the position of the labels if you want. Finally, hit the OK
button and your labels should appear on your chart.

----
Regards,
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com