-   -   solve 2 linear equations on a graph (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/192698-solve-2-linear-equations-graph.html)

Moik

solve 2 linear equations on a graph

I have plotted 2 lines on a graph in Excel 2003 and I want the function that
gives the value of the intersection

Dave Curtis

solve 2 linear equations on a graph

Hi,

if they are trend lines, use the slope and intercept functions to give you
the coefficients for each equation, and then solve for x and y, given that
at the intersection point, x and y will be the same for both lines.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10296297.aspx

Moik

solve 2 linear equations on a graph

I have found the slope and the intercept - how do I get excel to solve the
equations?

"Dave Curtis" wrote:

Hi,

if they are trend lines, use the slope and intercept functions to give you
the coefficients for each equation, and then solve for x and y, given that
at the intersection point, x and y will be the same for both lines.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10296297.aspx

Dave Curtis

solve 2 linear equations on a graph

Hi,

If you have the gradient and intercept of the two lines in four cells then
you work out the X coordinate where they cross using

(intercept2-intercept1)/(slope1-slope2)

and the corresponding Y cordinate using

=(Xcoordinate x slope1)+intercept1

Then you can plot these two points as another series on the chart. Let me
know if you get stuck.