Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default chart to SUM mileage over months

I am trying to chart how many miles I drive each month. I have the data in 3
main columns, A shows the date, B shows the reason for trip and C shows the
number of miles driven.
I can chart column C with the X axis displaying monthly. The problem is that
the chart displays a month for every cell in Column C - however I may have a
number of enteries for any given month - therefore the first three cells in
column C may in for the month of June.
Is it possible to make a chart that recognises which date each cell in
column C refers to and to add them and chart the total for that month?

Appreciate any help, thanks

GuyNI
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Charts are pretty stupid. They only chart the data you feed them.

You can process the data first, using formulas, or subtotals, or pivot
tables. For a pivot table, select the data, insert a pivot table report. Put
date into the rows area and sum of miles into the data area. This may have
already done the summation you need.

If not, right click on the dates field, choose Group and Show Detail
Group. Choose the appropriate grouping parameters.

Now create a pivot or regular chart showing this data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions