Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default What kind of chart is this?

I'm trying to create a certain kind of line chart and am having much
difficulty doing so.

Basically I'm trying to show the time employees are working for a company.

I want the X access to have the years and Y access to be the name of each
employee. Each employee's line color will depend on their race.

So far I've had no luck in creating this exact chart based on the drawing
you can find he http://www.networkone-cns.com/helpimage.bmp

I've tried presenting the information in many different ways in excel in
hopes the axises will reflect correctly and that I can get straight,
horizontal lines.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Maybe this will help.

It actually creates bars but they can be made skinny by setting the Gap
width to 500.
If you actual want lines the xy-scatter would be used.

And to get the bars to colour by race see this information on
conditional charts
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...nalChart1.html

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

This is essentially a Gantt chart:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttChart.html

You can make it using data like this:

start African Caucasian
John Doe 2001 2 0
Jane Doe 2002 0 0.1
Joe Doe 2002 4 0
Julie Doe 2001 0 1
Jody Doe 2002 0 3

Make a stacked bar chart, format the "start" series to be invisible. Change
the scale of the horizontal axis so it starts at 2000.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"katzy" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a certain kind of line chart and am having much
difficulty doing so.

Basically I'm trying to show the time employees are working for a company.

I want the X access to have the years and Y access to be the name of each
employee. Each employee's line color will depend on their race.

So far I've had no luck in creating this exact chart based on the drawing
you can find he http://www.networkone-cns.com/helpimage.bmp

I've tried presenting the information in many different ways in excel in
hopes the axises will reflect correctly and that I can get straight,
horizontal lines.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

So far this has been the best chart. However I don't understand what you
mean by "invisible".

If I choose to remove the series all-together then it messes up the axis
values

"katzy" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a certain kind of line chart and am having much
difficulty doing so.

Basically I'm trying to show the time employees are working for a company.

I want the X access to have the years and Y access to be the name of each
employee. Each employee's line color will depend on their race.

So far I've had no luck in creating this exact chart based on the drawing
you can find he http://www.networkone-cns.com/helpimage.bmp

I've tried presenting the information in many different ways in excel in
hopes the axises will reflect correctly and that I can get straight,
horizontal lines.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
katzy said:
I just changed the color so that there is none that you can see which looks
great on the graph itself. but it still shows up in the legend.

If you single click carefully twice on the legend entry (not too fast or
you'll "double click"), it selects just that legend. Then you can delete
it, leaving the other legends still showing.

--
Del Cotter