uriel78

Default tornado charts

I need to do a tornado charts like the ones shown in
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/format.html#tornado
but I need Y axes not to show category but real numbers that needs to
mantein their relative position (they are ascissas in another scatter plot)
so that the distance between point manteins its original value

I mean
0,0113
0,0113
0,0115
0,0119
0,0127
0,0134
0,0134
0,014
0,014
0,014
0,0142
0,0144

are my Y-values and they must be "numbers" (not category?)

is it possible...?

TIA

Andy Pope

I'm not sure I fully understand.
If you use a value on the Y axis how thick do you expect the bars to be?

If you only need a profile of the points either side of the zero on the
x axis then a xy scatter may give you the chart you want.

Maybe you could post a link to a site that illustrates the chart you are
trying to create.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
uriel78

Ok, now I understand the meaning of tornado charts...yesterday my head was
burned 'cause of too much studying...:-//

now, referring to values I've posted yesterday

I want B column on the left side of chart, C column on the right (this is
simple...)

A B C
0,0113 1 0
0,0113 2 1
0,0115 1 2
0,0119 1 0
0,0127 1 3
0,0134 1 1
0,0134 1 1
0,014 0 1
0,014 2 0
0,014 3 0
0,0142 1 0
0,0144 0 0

Really, I'm trying to obtain such series to do the tornado chart
A B C
0,0113 3 1
0,0115 1 2
0,0119 1 0
0,0127 1 3
0,0134 2 2
0,014 5 1
and so on, so that I've grouped and sum the occurences of B and C values
matching the corrispondent same A values

but still I am not able to do this last operation...

uriel78 wrote:
[...]

Andy Pope

Here is one way.
Hightlight you A values and use Advanced Filter, located under the Data
menu, to create a unique list begining in cell E1.
You should now have in range E1:E9 your A heading and 8 unique values.

Use the following formula to generate you summary data.

F1: =B1
G1: =C1
F2: =-SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$13=E2)*($B$2:$B$13))
G2: =SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$13=E2)*($C$2:$C$13))

fill F2:G2 down to F9:G9
You should now have your data.
Notice I negated the B values so these will appear to the left in your
tornado.
Follow the instruction to complete the chart.

Cheers
Andy

uriel78 wrote:

[...]

Jon Peltier

I used a pivot table to sum the values. Column A goes in the Rows area,
B and C into the Data area, then drag the Data button to the top. I
didn't have to determine the values for column E; the pivot table did
that for me.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP