Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Ratios as data points

Here's my trouble. I want my data points to be the results of a calculation
between an X point and an Y point. However, the range of data on the y and
the range of data on the x will not include the range of data points.

For example, if my X is 1200 and my Y is 600, I want the data point to be
X/Y, or 2. Obviously "2" isn't going to be on a range of data for X of 1000
to 1400 or for Y on a range of 400 to 600.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you are going to be plotting a ratio, you must calculate it somewhere,
then plot it on a scale that accommodates the value of the ratio. I don't
know why you expect X/Y to fit within the range of your X or Y values.

Let me rephrase your problem. You have A values and B values, and you want
to plot their ratio, A/B. If your A values range from 1000 to 1400 and your
B ranges from 400 to 600, your values of A/B have a potential minimum of
1.67 (1000/600) and a potential maximum of 3.5 (1400/400). You can plot A
from 1000 to 1400, B from 400 to 600, and A/B from 1.67 to 3.5. Choose any
two of these three for your X and Y values.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions