Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default 24 hour radar chart by day

I'm trying to build a radar/spider chart with the following features:

(1) 24 hours (by 1-hour increments) indicated on the outer-most circle
(2) 7 days indicated on the nested circles
(3) occurrences indicated with a dot by date of occurrence (I want to be
able to plot by minute, even though the labels indicate whole hours only)

I'm having trouble plotting what should be a pretty simple chart. Any
ideas how I can set this up? What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You want say Sunday in the inner 1/7 of the chart, and Saturday in the outer
1/7, with all others in between? Even if the chart is large enough for
Sunday to be readable, you will be giving Saturday much greater emphasis
than Sunday.

Also, if you want to plot by minute, you need not 24 categories (one per
hour of the day) but 2440 categories (one per minute of the day).

So you see that the radar chart is not a simple chart for your purposes
after all.

I suggest a parallel arrangement, not a circumferential one. Make a stacked
chart as shown in the tutorial linked below, but as an XY chart. Scale the X
axis from 0 hours to 24 hours. If your data is in times, use the times,
scaled from 0:00 to 24:00 (midnight at start of day to midnight at end of
day). If these are date-time values, subtract the date (a whole number) from
the date-time to get just the time (a fraction). Scale the Y values so
Sunday goes from 0 to 1, Monday from 1 to 2, ... and Saturday from 6 to 7.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsH...venScales.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP