Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Z-Axis Scale Adjustment for Contour Plots

How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003 I could
double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range between
points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to get rid of
the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with
flat/uniform colors for a given range of data?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Z-Axis Scale Adjustment for Contour Plots

To set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in Excel 2007, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the contour plot chart by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the "Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Axes" in the "Labels" group.
  4. Click on "Primary Vertical Axis" or "Secondary Vertical Axis" depending on which axis you want to adjust.
  5. Click on "More Primary Vertical Axis Options" or "More Secondary Vertical Axis Options" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Format Axis" dialog box, you can adjust the minimum, maximum, and major unit values for the axis scale under the "Axis Options" tab.
  7. Click "Close" to apply the changes.

As for getting rid of the 3-D look of the contour plot in Excel 2007, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the contour plot chart by clicking on it.
  2. Click on the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on "Change Chart Type" in the "Type" group.
  4. In the "Change Chart Type" dialog box, select the "Surface" chart type.
  5. Select the "Flat Surface" sub-type.
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

This will change the contour plot to a flat surface with uniform colors for a given range of data, similar to the 2003 contour plot look.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007?

Activate the Layout or Format tab, and choose the Vertical (Value) Axis from
the dropdown in the top left of the ribbon. (Yes, it's there even though
it's a flat contour chart). Press CTRL+1 (numeral one) to open the Format
Axis dialog, and adjust the scale here.

is there a way to get rid of the 3-D look of 2007?

Don't you hate that? It's absolutely miserable. This is a royal pain to fix.
You have to do this for each series:

Select the corresponding legend entry for the series, and press CTRL+1 to
format it. Select 3D Format from the items on the left edge of the dialog,
then under Surface Material, choose Flat (third one in the Special Effect
row).

Ironic that Flat is a special effect.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Randy" wrote in message
How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003 I
could
double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range between
points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to get rid
of
the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with
flat/uniform colors for a given range of data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Jon!

Who would have guessed that the Y-axis is elevation on a contour plot?!

I also found that if I saved the file in 2003 format the 3D shading went
away. Still used a bad color selection for depicting the data but it is at
least a quick way to get them all to change at once.

Randy

"Randy" wrote in message
How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003 I
could
double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range between
points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to get rid
of
the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with
flat/uniform colors for a given range of data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The 97-2003 file format is a good find. You can also turn the 3-D effect for
a chart all at once through automation by running in Visual Basic:
ActiveChart.ChartGroups(1).Has3dShading = False

--
Thanks,
Christopher

"Randy" wrote in message
How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003 I
could
double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range between
points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to get rid
of
the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with
flat/uniform colors for a given range of data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Nice. I was assuming I'd have to loop through the series collection to
format the series individually.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Christopher Scott [MSFT]" wrote in
message ...
The 97-2003 file format is a good find. You can also turn the 3-D effect
for
a chart all at once through automation by running in Visual Basic:
ActiveChart.ChartGroups(1).Has3dShading = False

--
Thanks,
Christopher

rights.

"Randy" wrote in message
How do you set the contour plot z-axis legend scale in 2007? In 2003
could
double click on the legend and then select the bottom point, range
between
points and top point of the z-axis scale. Also, is there a way to
get rid
of
the 3-D look of 2007 and go back to the 2003 countour plot look with
flat/uniform colors for a given range of data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
El El is offline

Hi, your post were quite helpful. Thanks

I have another problem, I would like to change the x axis labelling. Now in
my case i am changing a parameter c from 1 to 2 in intervals of 0.1 in the
series data, I would like that the labeling in the x axis is 1, 1.1, 1.2,
1.3...etc. I tried from the format axis but only whole numbers are allowed
(interval between tick marks/ specify interval unit). Is there a way to go
about this?

I have a similiar problem with the y axis - on the y axis i am changing a
parameter d from 1 to 2 again. The axis labeling is series 1, series 2,..
etc. Now i would like to change it to 1, 1.1, 1.2 ..etc. I guess I have to
change each series name manually from the select data tab.

Thanks a lot