Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Charting a discontinuous series

Excel XP 2002: I have 2 series of data. One has a value for every day of
the year. The second only has data points once per month. When I graph the 2
series, the second one (the one that only has 1 point per month) does not
have a line connecting the values. I have tried all I know but can/t get the
line to draw.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Are there blank cells between data values? If so, select the chart, go to
Tools menu Options Chart tab, and choose the Interpolate method for
dealing with blank cells.

I presume you don't have a formula which returns "" in the hopes that Excel
will think it signifies a blank cell (it doesn't). If you did you'd get
markers along the Y=0 axis for these "" values (which are text, not blank),
and a line connecting all points. If you change the "" in your formulas with
NA(), you'd get a nice #N/A error, which suppresses plotting of a marker and
draws a line connecting points on either side of the gap.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions