Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
D D is offline

Default xy scatter charts - multiple points

I want to make an xy scatter chart. However the data is catagorical and
therefore a number of points are in exactly the same location and do not
show. I am looking for a function to stagger the points so it is possible to
se how many there actually are, rather than just seeing one. Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

d -

One approach is "jittering."

Use numerical values for both X and Y.

Then, for example, if the X values (with multiple Y values) are
1,1,1,2,2,..., instead use 0.95,1.00,1.05,1.95,2.00,...

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"d" wrote in message
I want to make an xy scatter chart. However the data is catagorical and
therefore a number of points are in exactly the same location and do not
show. I am looking for a function to stagger the points so it is possible
se how many there actually are, rather than just seeing one. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
D D is offline

Yes i was looking at that, but when you have a number of charts with quite a
few points it obviously becomes time consuming and I was rather hoping there
was a more elegant way of doing it, but it doesn't sound like it

Thanks

"d" wrote in message
I want to make an xy scatter chart. However the data is catagorical and
therefore a number of points are in exactly the same location and do not
show. I am looking for a function to stagger the points so it is possible
se how many there actually are, rather than just seeing one. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

An exact and may be interesting way for your probable purpose would be to
evaluate the y-standard deviation for each €ścategory€ť and use all of them in
a properly adapted bar chart. The problem with stddev of single points should
be solved by general consideration.
By the way, there were some calls, in this discussion group, for expressing
the clustered markers as bigger ones, according to their count, but the
problem is virtually difficult to tackle.
--
Petr Bezucha