Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Default Chart Text Box

Ahhhh,

2007 is where it becomes interesting!!!

I have found one bug and one nuisance:
- nuisance: the resize function "leftaligns" everything despite alignment
settings, i.e. the whole box is only changed on the right hand side!
- bug: can't seem to programatically insert boxes further to the right than
a certain point being approximately the plot area border when a legend is to
the right, independently of the actual plot area border (even if moved to
chartarea border) and if there is a legend or not. Same problem from the
bottom.

I ask a question again that must have been asked 100 times:
- is it 100% true that it is impossible to reach the embedded Charts (excel)
in PPT programatically. I.e. what whas done before by addressing the
Activechart of the OLEObject.
This is a nightmare for all code that I have developed that cleanses charts
pasted in PPT from Excel. I ca'nt understand whay this door has been closed?

Best regards,

Bob

"Andy Pope" wrote in message

I will post the code Brian is referring to on my website.
Just need to find some time to tidy the code and check it works in xl2007.

The code is design to run from within excel. Any charts created could then
be imported/linked to Powerpoint.

Cheers
Andy
--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Bengt" <bobone a pointer.se wrote in message

This piece of code would be very valuable to me....

Could you please post the essentials of this?

One of the major problems I am having with 2007 is the Autoresize /
Resize shape to fit text.
It seems to neglect alignments compared to 2003.

Bob

"Brian Reilly, MVP" wrote in message
Brian,
The data label boxes are impossible to format but Andy Pope, an Excel
MVP, wrote a piece of VBA code for me recently that took the data
label values and turned them into real text boxes and realigned them.
It is very sweet code that handles something that can't be easily done
in the native interface.

If you are comfortable with some VBA code in your presentations (or in
your Excel workbook), you might want to chase Andy down in the Excel
charting newsgroup. Andy also shows up here from time to time.

Brian Reilly, MVP

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:06:00 -0800, Brian Lynn
wrote:

Just so you know, I can see the bounding box for each individual data
label,
and when I click them I can see the little round handles for resizing,
but
when I try to resize it does nothing...

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in, which
means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

I can't comment on the text box items, though I know I have already built
workarounds for some of the quirkiness of textboxes in 2007 and particularly
textboxes in charts in 2007.

As far as the second item, the charts which are made in PowerPoint (and
presumably Word) using the new Office-wide Excel charting capability are not
exposed to VBA. To me this removes any advantage of having an Office-wide
charting capability.

If you keep using the approaches that work in Office 2003 & earlier, that
is, you create the chart in Excel, then insert it into PowerPoint/Word as an
Excel chart object, the result is an OLE object which VBA can manipulate.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

In my last post, I said that Office-wide (Excel) charts built in PowerPoint
were not accessible to VBA, but that charts made in Excel and then inserted
into PowerPoint were accessible through the familiar OLE approach. This was
only partially true.

If an Excel 2007 chart is copied in Excel and Pasted into PowerPoint, it
behaves as one of the new Office-wide Excel charts. It is inaccessible to
VBA. You can access the shape itself, but there is no OLE Object in it which
you can hook into. They've even added a property, HasChart, to tell you that
the shape contains a chart, but there is no Chart object that you can hook
into. I don't know whether to blame it on a design error or on a lack of
time to implement, but it is a major shortcoming in Office 2007.

There is hope, however. You can insert the chart from a file. Make sure the
workbook is open but saved such that the chart is the active chart sheet,
then use code similar to this to insert it into PowerPoint (this is code
running in Excel VBA):

' insert from excel file
Set ppShape = ppSlide.Shapes.AddOLEObject _
(Left:=90#, Top:=240#, Width:=360#, Height:=240#, _
Filename:=ActiveWorkbook.FullName, Link:=msoFalse)
With ppShape
.Name = "xlInsertedSheet"
.Width = ActiveChart.ChartArea.Width
.Height = ActiveChart.ChartArea.Height
.Left = (ppPres.PageSetup.SlideWidth - .Width) / 2
.Top = (ppPres.PageSetup.SlideHeight - .Height) / 2
End With

Now you can manipulate the chart in the PowerPoint shape named
xlInsertedSheet, using OLE to hook into the chart.

- Jon
-------

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

If you keep using the approaches that work in Office 2003 & earlier, that
is, you create the chart in Excel, then insert it into PowerPoint/Word as an
Excel chart object, the result is an OLE object which VBA can manipulate.

That provides some relief, but still leaves us out in the cold when presented
with already-created presentations (as I suspect Bengt is forced to work with).

Can you think of any way of converting an existing chart object to a file that
can be reinserted as you describe?

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Jon, Steve and Andy,
One trick I almost always use, but untried in 2007, is to create the
chart natively in XL, copy the datasheet and the chart sheet to a new
file, Save that file in use the PPT code to insert object from file,
and then kill that XL file.

I haven't gotten deeply into 2007 since I don't have any clients that
have even considered upgrading. But that should work along with Jon's
insight into the OLE object concept.

Brian Reilly, MVP

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming
bob bob is offline

Default Chart Text Box 2007

Hi,

The behaviour of text boxes in Excel 2007 Charts is bizarre.
I can "measure" the Point(x).Label.Left value and insert new text boxes at
the same point (approx) for most of the ChartArea, but not too far to the
edges.

Can't understand why there is a problem. The borders of the box are nowhere
close to the ChartArea border.

Quirkyness
Jon: have you figured out if there is a (small) difference in value between
the coordinates returned from Point(x).Label.Left/Top and a Textbox put in
the exact same place (all internal box "padding" set to "0"). This was a
major problem in previous versions.

Bob

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Brian -

I believe this was one of the things I tried a year ago when trying to get a
handle on the Office-wide charting feature. And as far as I can recall, it
worked.

- Jon
-------

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I
can
resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan
letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

Steve -

I haven't even begun to try to automate this, I suspect that's a blind
alley. But the manual process would be:

Select the chart
Edit Data (Chart Tools Design tab, or just right-click)
In Excel, do a save-as
Clean up this Excel file (remove any excess sheets, any excess data on the
data sheet)
Save and close the Excel file
Back in PowerPoint: Insert tab Object From File browse to file saved
above.

Now you've got an OLE-cognizant Excel chart.

- Jon
-------

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote in message
If you keep using the approaches that work in Office 2003 & earlier, that
is, you create the chart in Excel, then insert it into PowerPoint/Word as
an
Excel chart object, the result is an OLE object which VBA can manipulate.

That provides some relief, but still leaves us out in the cold when
presented
with already-created presentations (as I suspect Bengt is forced to work
with).

Can you think of any way of converting an existing chart object to a file
that
can be reinserted as you describe?

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob -

I haven't noticed this restriction. I have had more trouble with the whole
autosizing of the text box, which doesn't do what it should, and I have
hacked together a workaround for that.

Could you simply insert the textbox anywhere, then change its .Left to equal
the label's .Left? This would be my first attempt at a workaround. And I
don't recall it as a problem in previous versions (I did have some projects
that required fine placement of textboxes), but maybe there was a problem
and the workaround wasn't so hard to figure out that I'd remember.

- Jon
-------

"Brian Lynn" wrote:

I can't seem to be able to resize chart text boxes on PPT2007. I
can resize
the text font itself, but I can't resize the box the text is in,
which means
long company titles are wrapping funny and I have orphan letters...

How do I unlock this so I can resize the data labels manually?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.powerpoint

That's what I was thinking too. @*#$^*&^. And also @*^&**^!!!