Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Rolling Chart

Hello

Not sure where to post this as I believe it could be VB or maybe Functions

I have a table with many columns, but, of which I only use 3. This is for
left hand and right hand items in the list and for a main sub heading as:

Sub heading 1
C1R1 Total C5R1 Total C9R1
C1R2 % C5R2 % C9R2

An soforth as below

Sub heading 2
C1RX Total
C1RX %

Sub heading TOTAL
C1RX1 Total
C1RX2 %

The problem arises from having to export the data from a database into an
Excel spreadsheet and the number of rows are not always the same. For
example Sub heading 1 may have 20 rows today but 25 rows tomorrow but only
10 rows the next day but the columns will never change

From these totals I have to plot a simple bar graph. I know that I will have
to export them to a template to enable the graph to be plotted or maybe have
a VB module which I can call each time the export has been done.

This is where a further problem arises. I have very little VB experience (I
am still learning, but very quick due to the needs). One the macro/function
is working how would I run this from a personal macro book

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated to maintain my already bald
head

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Peter,

Have you any experience of dynamic ranges? These might solve your problem.

For instance, if you have Sales in column A with a heading row, you can
define the range (InsertNameDefine...) as rngSales, with a RefersTo value
of =OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA($A:$A),1), and use this range name in the chart
data definition, such as =Sheet1!rngSales.

Importing the data will not affect the name, and your charts should
dynamically reflect the data.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Peter From The UK" wrote in message
[...]

From these totals I have to plot a simple bar graph. I know that I will
have to export them to a template to enable the graph to be plotted or
maybe have a VB module which I can call each time the export has been
done.

This is where a further problem arises. I have very little VB experience
(I am still learning, but very quick due to the needs). One the
macro/function is working how would I run this from a personal macro book

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated to maintain my already bald
head

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bob

Thanks for the example. I don't have ant experience with dynamic ranges but
I will soon learn. I will try what you have shown and see how I get on. Many
thanks for that. I will let you know via the group what happened

Peter

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Peter,

Have you any experience of dynamic ranges? These might solve your problem.

For instance, if you have Sales in column A with a heading row, you can
define the range (InsertNameDefine...) as rngSales, with a RefersTo
value of =OFFSET($A$1,,,COUNTA($A:$A),1), and use this range name in the
chart data definition, such as =Sheet1!rngSales.

Importing the data will not affect the name, and your charts should
dynamically reflect the data.

--
---
HTH

[...]