Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Tim Tim is offline

Default Changing order of series

I am using a line/column chart, Excel 2003, to plot two values (actual vs.
goal). I would like to change the order of the data series in the chart
(change the bar to line and the line to bar).
Excel help says to click on the data series, €śFormat€ť, €śSelected Data
Series€ť, €śSeries Order€ť and then move the series by clicking on the €śMove
Up€ť/€ťMove Down€ť button.
However, when I follow these directions the €śMove Up€ť/€ťMove Down€ť buttons
are grayed out since I can only select one series on the graph (and
consequently only one series shows up in the series window).
Am I missing something or is there another way of accomplishing this (other
than changing the order these series appear on the worksheet)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Select the Bar chart, right click, select chart type, select line chart.
and switch process for the other conversion (Line to Bar)

The move up down series order will not work between different chart types.
You need to change th echart types manually for each series.

Alternatively you can change the data source itself, though the above
suggestion is recommended.

--
Glen (TD-DTP)
It''''s cold up here in Toronto...

"Tim" wrote:

I am using a line/column chart, Excel 2003, to plot two values (actual vs.
goal). I would like to change the order of the data series in the chart
(change the bar to line and the line to bar).
Excel help says to click on the data series, €śFormat€ť, €śSelected Data
Series€ť, €śSeries Order€ť and then move the series by clicking on the €śMove
Up€ť/€ťMove Down€ť button.
However, when I follow these directions the €śMove Up€ť/€ťMove Down€ť buttons
are grayed out since I can only select one series on the graph (and
consequently only one series shows up in the series window).
Am I missing something or is there another way of accomplishing this (other
than changing the order these series appear on the worksheet)?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You also cannot change the positions of series of different chart type
within the legend. Those are locked in.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Tim" wrote:

I am using a line/column chart, Excel 2003, to plot two values (actual
vs.
goal). I would like to change the order of the data series in the chart
(change the bar to line and the line to bar).
Excel help says to click on the data series, "Format", "Selected Data
Series", "Series Order" and then move the series by clicking on the "Move
Up"/"Move Down" button.
However, when I follow these directions the "Move Up"/"Move Down" buttons