Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Chart Axis

Using Excel 2003
I am charting some data that has a large range in numbers.
I'm using a clustered column chart that compares values across categories.
The chart has 4 categories of numbers to chart monthly. The problem I'm
having is - in one category, the raw data numbers range from 2000 to 4500 and
another category ranges from 25 to 90. When I chart this data, I cannot
really see much of a bar in the chart for the smaller values. I want to at
least have some bar showing. The minimum on the scale is zero. I thought to
change the scale (Y Axis) minimum to a negative value and that didn't work. I
also thought to show each number value and there's not enough room for that.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

You have 3 choices that come to mind:

1. Use two Y-axis - easiest
2. Use a log scale on the Y-axis - may not be appropriate
3. Create a broken Y-axis. - hardest, see Jon's web site.
peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/index.html

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Karen" wrote:

Using Excel 2003
I am charting some data that has a large range in numbers.
I'm using a clustered column chart that compares values across categories.
The chart has 4 categories of numbers to chart monthly. The problem I'm
having is - in one category, the raw data numbers range from 2000 to 4500 and
another category ranges from 25 to 90. When I chart this data, I cannot
really see much of a bar in the chart for the smaller values. I want to at
least have some bar showing. The minimum on the scale is zero. I thought to
change the scale (Y Axis) minimum to a negative value and that didn't work. I
also thought to show each number value and there's not enough room for that.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks - This is a great Web site on charting!
What's the best way to set up two Y-axis?

Thank you again, Karen

"Karen" wrote:

Using Excel 2003
I am charting some data that has a large range in numbers.
I'm using a clustered column chart that compares values across categories.
The chart has 4 categories of numbers to chart monthly. The problem I'm
having is - in one category, the raw data numbers range from 2000 to 4500 and
another category ranges from 25 to 90. When I chart this data, I cannot
really see much of a bar in the chart for the smaller values. I want to at
least have some bar showing. The minimum on the scale is zero. I thought to
change the scale (Y Axis) minimum to a negative value and that didn't work. I
also thought to show each number value and there's not enough room for that.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You need at least two series. Select one of your series, press Ctrl+1
(numeral one) to format the series. On the Axes tab (XL 2003 and earlier) or
on the first screen you see, where given a choice between Primary and
Secondary, select Secondary.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hello Jon,

I love your Web site - It's very informative!
I followed your instructions and when the "Format Data Series" dialog box
displays, there is no "Axis" tab. I thought that I was doing something wrong,
so I went to help and found this:

When the values in a 2-D chart vary widely from data series to data series
in a 2-D chart, or when you have mixed types of data (such as price and
volume), you can plot one or more data series on a secondary value (y) axis.
The scale of the secondary axis reflects the values for the associated data
series.

1. On a chart sheet or in an embedded chart, click the data series that you
want to plot along a secondary value axis.
2. On the Format menu, click Selected Data Series.
3. On the Axis tab, click Secondary axis.

I followed this as well and I still don't see an "Axis" tab. Is this an
add-in or something?

Thank you, Karen

"Karen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

What version of Excel is this? Also, some chart types are not amenable to
secondary axes. Any chart with 3D effects will not support secondary axes.
This is only one of many reasons not to use charts with 3D effects.

- Jon
-------