Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Need help adding trendline to area chart

Thanks in advance!

I recently upgraded to Office 2007. I have a spreadsheet that looks like
this:

Column 1: Dates from January 1, 2008 through December 31, 2008
Column 2: Account balance goal for each day. Basically, this amount starts
at $130,000 and increases about $75 each day. I can look at this and see
what my balance should be for each date.
Column 3: Actual account balance as of this date. There are currently
entries for the first 14 days of the year, the rest are blank and will be
filled in at the end of each day.

Okay, I have an Area chart added to my spreadsheet. Series 1 data includes
the first and third column. Basically, it shows me the account balance for
each day in an area graph with the amounts up the left axis and the dates on
the bottom axis.

What I want to do is add a trend line that shows my daily goal for each
date. I did this many times before I upgraded, but I can't figure out how
to do it in 2007. I want the graph to look like a mountain (hopefully
growing larger each day) with a black line showing where each day's balance
should be. If I am doing well, the series one data would always be above
the trend line.

Can you tell me how to add the trend line? I have all the other elements
working fine. Thanks!!!

--
RBear3

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I put some dares in A2:a20 and some numbers in C2:C20
Made an Area chart
On the ribbon I looked in the Chart | Layout group and found the trendline
icon was greyed out
Changed the chart to a Line chart (right clicked chart; used Change Chart
Type)
Now I was able to add a trendline and display its formula
When I change the chart back to an Area chart the trendline stayed in place
I experimented changing the data and the trendline formula reflected the
difference correctly
So the workaround seems to be: make Line chart; add trendline; convert chart
to Area type
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"RBear3" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bernard:

Thanks so much for your help. I still can't seem to get the trend line to
appear though. I did as you suggested. I then click the "trendline" button
and select the type of trendline I desire, but nothing happens. I would
have expected it to ask me to define the data that will form the trendline.
I hate to be dense, but can you walk me through adding the trend line?

--
Thanks again!

RBear3
..