Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Merging 3 Charts into 1

I have three charts, each of which shows a normal curve (bell shaped) with 3
different means and 3 different standard deviations. Taken individually, the
3 charts are a "masterpiece."

However, I wish to merge the three charts into one so I can show the 3 bell
shapes on one graph. The best way to further explain is to cite this example:

Chart 1 X axis 10 through 160
mean 80
std. dev. 20

Chart 2 X axis 60 through 120
mean 90
std. dev. 10

Chart 3 X axis 20 through 150
mean 85
std. dev. 25

In other words, the data points overlap for each graph; however, the 'width'
of the X axis is different for each graph; in addition, the height (mean) of
each graph is, also, markedly, different.

HOW CAN I MERGE THESE THREE GRAPHS TOGETHER TO SHOW ONE GRAPH WITH THE 3
BELL CURVES?

Thanks,

FLKulchar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

F. Lawrence Kulchar -

Here's one way:

Create three sets of X and Y (=NORMDIST) values on a worksheet.

Create an XY (Scatter) chart type for one of the XY sets.

Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY sets.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"F. Lawrence Kulchar" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I will definitely try this...and let you know what happened; it seems to me
that the first XY scatter plot (which I have been using) will be
perfect,,,,if I add lists 2 and 3, will EXCEL associate these Y values with
the proper X values (already established...as the X axis).

Thank you,
FLKulchar
"Mike Middleton" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

OKay..I have tried it; the added normal curves do NOT associate the Y value
with the proper X value -- it associates it with the range referenced cell,
ie on the same horizontal plane!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I think you need to read again what Mike suggested:
"Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY sets."
That option allows you to select the appropriate X and Y data for each
series.
--
David Biddulph

"FLKulchar" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Yes. Each series will use its own set of X data, as well as Y data, as
described by Mike.
--
David Biddulph

"FLKulchar" wrote in message
OKay..I have tried it; the added normal curves do NOT associate the Y
value with the proper X value -- it associates it with the range
referenced cell, ie on the same horizontal plane!

"Mike Middleton" wrote in message
F. Lawrence Kulchar -

Here's one way:

Create three sets of X and Y (=NORMDIST) values on a worksheet.

Create an XY (Scatter) chart type for one of the XY sets.

Use the Chart Source Data option to add each of the other two XY sets.

"F. Lawrence Kulchar"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The easiest way to do this is to have three ranges, each with two columns,
where the first column contains X and the second Y values. Make an XY chart
(not a line chart) using the first XY pair of columns. Copy the second pair
of columns, select the chart, use Edit menu Paste Special to add the data
as a new series, with X values (category labels) in the first column. Repeat
the copy/paste special operation with the third range.

The next easiest way is to make the xy (not line) chart with the first set
of data, then go to Chart menu Source data Series tab. Click Add to add
a series, then click in the X Values box to add X values for the new series,
and in the Y Values box to add Y values. Click Add again to add the third
series and its data.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thank you...It completed succeeded...now I have three normal curves
superimposed on one set of X axis...eventhough there are 3 distinct sets of
X values in the chart.

I had, on my own, previously succeed by using the VLOOKUP function and
pasting the 3 sets of Y values onto a range of artificially created X values
which represent the 'maximum' range of my 3 sets of X values.

The trouble with that is I get values pasted to, say the X value is 100, but
my three Y values are 99.5, 100.7, and 101.8 -- that would all paste to 100
with the VLOOKUP formula...making my bell curve skewed.
Nevertheless, I was still pleased...

but, your way is much better!!

Thank you,

FLKulchar

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I made a mistake on my last posting:

The trouble with that is I get values pasted to, say the X value is 100, but
my three X values are 99.5, 100.7, and 101.8 -- that would all paste to
100 with the VLOOKUP formula...making my bell curve skewed.
Nevertheless, I was still pleased.

Change "Y" to "X".

Thank you...

FLKulchar