Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Totals in Stacked Charts in 2007

I have been searching for 2 days with no luck. Is there a way to display the
total on the top of a stacked chart from an OLAP Pivot table. I'm starting
to think that since the data is tied directly to the OLAP cube and the
subtotals are tied to the underlying data, Excel will not allow you to add
the data series in any way. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If this were a regular chart, the advice would be to add a line series,
formatted with no lines and no markers, that plots the totals and displays
data labels showing these values. Pivot charts do not allow you to add
series to them or plot data besides what the pivot chart shows by default.

You can make a regular chart from pivot table data. Select a blank cell that
doesn't touch the pivot table and insert a chart. Go to Chart Tools Design
tab, click Select Data. In the dialog, do not adjust the entry in the Chart
Data Range box at the top. Instead, add each series under Legend Entries,
choosing its data as you go.

This regular chart permits some formatting and other options not allowed in
a pivot chart, but does not adjust to a resized pivot table.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Carmaboy" wrote in message
I have been searching for 2 days with no luck. Is there a way to display
the
total on the top of a stacked chart from an OLAP Pivot table. I'm
starting
to think that since the data is tied directly to the OLAP cube and the
subtotals are tied to the underlying data, Excel will not allow you to add
the data series in any way. Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks a lot for the response. This worked. Is there a particular
reason why MS didnt not allow this to be an innate functionality of a
stacked charted using Pivot tables? Can anyone think of a technical
or logical reason why this isnt a default behavoir/option? Thanks
again.

Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"Carmaboy" wrote in message

I have been searching for 2 days with no luck. Is there a way to display
the
total on the top of a stacked chart from anOLAPPivot table. I'm
starting
to think that since the data is tied directly to theOLAPcube and the
subtotals are tied to the underlying data,Excelwill not allow you to add
the data series in any way. Please help.- Hide quoted text -