Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Scatter plot with two data series having common x-values

Ok, I give up. In Excel 2007, how do I plot two data series having common
x-values? When I go to Select Data Source and Add a series, I have to
specify both x-values and y-values. If I add a second data series with the
same x-values as the first, then the x-axis labels are just 0,1,2,..., not
the x-values I specified. I do get a scatter plot with two data series, but
the x-axis is not correctly labelled.

This was no problem in prior versions of Excel, but like everything else in
the "easier to use" Office 2007, it is much harder to figure out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

My apologies! It does display the correct x-values, or at least the correct
range of x-values. I was thrown off because the x-axis labels it displays
are integers whereas the x-values that I input were decimals. So I guess it
displays a range of integer x-axis labels that includes all the x-values that
I input.

This is an improvement over previous versions, I think.

"Gordon" wrote:

Ok, I give up. In Excel 2007, how do I plot two data series having common
x-values? When I go to Select Data Source and Add a series, I have to
specify both x-values and y-values. If I add a second data series with the
same x-values as the first, then the x-axis labels are just 0,1,2,..., not
the x-values I specified. I do get a scatter plot with two data series, but
the x-axis is not correctly labelled.

This was no problem in prior versions of Excel, but like everything else in
the "easier to use" Office 2007, it is much harder to figure out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

The category X axis of a line, area, or column chart contains X values which
are merely labels, there is one label per category, and the categories are
evenly spaced.

The value X axis of an XY chart acts as the value Y axis of any of these
charts. The scale is initially set to fit all the data, and the data points
are not tied to any specific unit along the axis, but are located based on
value.

This hasn't changed since Excel first offered charts.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions