Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Excel 2003- Charts- date and time format on x-axis of XY chart

Hello,

I am trying to plot an XY graph with x-axis data in date and time format but
Excel keeps counting the x-axis data as "data labels". It is in the format
mm/dd/yy HH:mm
ex) 10/28/06 17:00

Instead, Excel appears to be turning my XY plot into a line plot (for
example, the first date is assigned an x-value of 1, the second value
assigned an x-value of 2 and so on so that each date/time x-value is evenly
spaced).

I would like to find a way to plot this data so that it is spaced relative
to date and time.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Are your data values actually date and time, or are they text? Does your
10/28/06 17:00 change to 39018.7083333333 if you temporarily reformat the
cell as General or Number instead of Date and Time? If not, it's probably
text and you'll need to change it to date & time before you can plot them
that way.
--
David Biddulph

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to plot an XY graph with x-axis data in date and time format
but
Excel keeps counting the x-axis data as "data labels". It is in the format
mm/dd/yy HH:mm
ex) 10/28/06 17:00

Instead, Excel appears to be turning my XY plot into a line plot (for
example, the first date is assigned an x-value of 1, the second value
assigned an x-value of 2 and so on so that each date/time x-value is
evenly
spaced).

I would like to find a way to plot this data so that it is spaced relative
to date and time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
KK KK is offline

Continuing on with the "Date and Time" questioning above. I have data that
looks like this in text form: 22-AUG-2007, 11:37. How would I go about
changing this format so that excel reads it as date and time (ie: 08/22/07
11:37, which would equal as a number 39316.4840277778)?